Religion & Abortion

Discussion in 'Everything Political' started by Bog, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flanken

flanken Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Without discussing the merits of whether suicide should ever be condoned, there is a difference between a gun to the head and assisted suicide. At least with someone competent assisting with the suicide it would be done properly. Most people trying to do a gun to the head would do it wrong, and blow out various parts of their cerebrum rather than aiming for the brainstem. The body (with a lot of costly support measures) is more than happy to live on almost indefinitely as a vegetable as long as the brainstem is untouched. A botched gun suicide is a very, very costly mistake to any potential caretakers.

But that'll be enough of the gallows humor for now.

2. moon angel

moon angel Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:

If you have to blanket I suppose tht would be the best blanket but case by case would suit me better.

3. wolfraider

wolfraider Grand Viezir of Chaos

Reputations:
    Well it is not just destroying the embryo which is pretty much irrelevant to many people in this century, but who the hell wants to pay the researches and doctors the money to commit an abortion well they were irresponsible in first place to not have SS so why help? If it was up to me than i knew better ways to use medicine money than on millions of prostitutes and irresponsible teenagers.
    Rapist victims are a very small part of it and they are excluded from this because they were forced to do something against their will.

4. moon angel

moon angel Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    As you say, if a girl was raped it's hardly her fault she didn't praxctice safe ***. Also safe *** is not 100% reliable.

5. Eleison

Eleison Thanatos Eleison

Reputations:
    @hmmm:

I was referring to the Hippocratic oath. It does not refer to any life outside of human life, but it promises to DO NO HARM. Since medicine is concerned only with human life, your arguments about bacteria are irrelevant. A doctor takes an oath to harm no human life, so, purely from the perspective of that oath, both abortion and assisted suicide, no matter how justified they may be , are absolute violations of the oath demanded of all doctors.

Furthermore, no matter how justified, Assisted Suicide has the additional problem of still being illegal in America (last I checked, it was illegal to commit suicide in most USA states. I don't keep up with world-wide suicide laws, but I can't imagine it's much different elsewhere).

6. wolfraider

wolfraider Grand Viezir of Chaos

Reputations:
    Than what about taking a LOONG break it's not like they are going to die of not being able to sleep with people?:D

7. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    "I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone" - from the hippocratic oath

a ball of cell is not a person

but i guess it does specifically say that they won't preform abortions... but the oath is a relic of ancient times and it should be revised to fit the modern times

okay, i concede to that

yea and divorce is a sin and you'll go to hell for it, and so is premarital ***

things change... you can't stick to one definition forever. look at the bible

why though?

why shouldn't things change to allow assisted suicide or just plain old suicide?

would a suicidal person not kill themselves because its illegal? what are they going to do? throw his corpse into prison?

why shouldn't one have control over one's life?

why?
    well, its gotten better i think.

movies used to show peeps shooting themselves through the temple (BAD WAY) which just causes brain damage and may not kill you

nowadays, movies show them killing themselves with the gun sticking into the mouth (GOOD WAY). with a hollow point bullet and the gun sticking in your mouth like that, theres a good chance you'll turn the medulla oblongata to mush and you're out

what you're describing is a brain dead person on life support and IT IS ALLOWED to pull the plug on a brain dead dude

8. conejeitor

conejeitor Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unborn child, women, blacks, chinese, they are all people. So any discrimination is wrong.
    Being outside or inside another human... Why that lets you discriminate?
    It is our culture, a visual culture, that makes us discriminate what we cannot see well yet, and just say that the unborn child is not human. But there is no scientific or objective evidence of so (neurological tests actually say that an unborn child is 3-4 times more sensitive that an adult human, based on reaction speeds)
    So, saying that the unborn child is not human, is a cultural issue, just as it is also cultural for some other people to say that a black, a women are inferior humans. Now, we now that it's wrong, but because we are immerse in "our" culture we think abortion is fine. But objectively, it is the same type of discrimination (it doesn't have any objective/scientific base, only cultural).

9. LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC Blah Blah Blah!!!

Reputations:
    I somewhat agree with the culture theory, but NOBODY has the right to tell a women what to do with HER BODY. There's a reason why Labor is called Birth and why the birth certificate doesn't date the day of conception.

10. conejeitor

conejeitor Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Right, but that is a legal issue. In some countries is legal to hit women. That doesn't make it right.
    In the past, it was legal to bit Africanamericans. Legal, not always means that is correct.

For many cultures, the baby and the embrionary organs are not the woman's body (and actually genetically they are not).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.