[Release] Improved M18x R2 Maxwell Legacy BIOS

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Jan 16, 2017.

1. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i tried UEFI mode...and legacy too i think...im running win 8 UEFI right now so... and this card ran games 100% for months with zero issues before i flashed the new BIOS...its something simple im missing

EDIT: im considering throwing in my 780m and seeing if it boots on PEG mode with this BIOS...because right now im sitting without a working GPU anyway and it sucks

EDIT: i think im just going to flash A10 unlocked back on the system and call it a day at this point...i didn't really expect to encounter so many issues

EDIT: what's really irritating is that i can view the card, in device manager, gpu-z, nvidia inspector and even BIOS but can't boot in PEG with it....weird

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    so in the name of further testing i threw in my 780m and it booted right up in PEG mode....so that's nice but still doesn't get me any closer to answering the question of why my 980m isn't working so im just downgrading back to previous BIOS for now

EDIT: well this is getting interesting...put the 980 back in and it booted up in PEG mode....im open to explanations on that one

EDIT2: running in UEFI win 8.1 full PEG mode.....and i fixed this....just by taking it out and putting it back in? are you ****ing kidding me i just spent 2 days on this

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  3. jerryzago

jerryzago Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seems your GPU fails to initialize during boot. You could try loading setup defaults from bios and then switching to PEG. In a12 official it worked for me in pure UEFI without problems.

When I flashed swicks unlocked bios, I removed first and after the battery, the coin battery and pressed the power button for 10sec afterwards.

I could sent you some photos of my settings, but there are so many there and I am running legacy mode.

4. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    BIOS works fine, tested with Clevo and Dell 980Ms so something is wrong with the way you put the card in or the card itself.

Gsync cards not supported in case that wasn't clear.

5. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    its working fine now, taking it out and putting it back in solved the problem...don't ask me why its not like you can put it in wrong

jerryzago likes this.
  6. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    maybe some debris preventing the pins for making proper contact.

7. anarky321

anarky321 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ehh honestly highly unlikely considering how many times i've taken these apart i usually always wipe the pins and blow out the socket before i insert its just on autopilot by now

but either way its a happy ending i kept UEFI windows and have a cracked bios now....im happy

8. MZWiZard

MZWiZard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for this bios to you all! :biggrin:

9. maxslo

maxslo undefined

Reputations:
    Installed it myself aswell, as preparation for 970M upgrade, the upgrade went without a hiccup :D thanks @Raidriar

10. vaspup88

vaspup88 Newbie

Reputations:
    need to reinstall the system?