[Release] Improved M18x R2 Maxwell Legacy BIOS

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Slagr

Slagr Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that PEG and AUTO modes result in 8 beeps, no POST.

2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some people have mentioned that the 980M requires a pure UEFI environment for the M17x R4 so maybe it’s the same for the M18x R2. I went UEFI for my 1070 but someone else I spoke to said he stayed in Legacy and it worked fine. Maybe the 980M has to be UEFI though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Slagr

Slagr Newbie

Reputations:
    Would UEFI make it visible in BIOS? I can't boot my installed OS in UEFI but I guess I could try a live session to verify. I'd really like to see the card appear in BIOS before reinstalling the OS. UEFI also makes the Alienware splash screen appear distorted for some reason.

4. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Flashing this BIOS should allow the cards to work in Legacy mode. You can enable UEFI and just see if the BIOS recognizes the card.

Do you know if the card was a Dell model or was it MSI/Clevo model? Dell models do not have G-Sync and work in PEG mode. G-Sync versions require SG mode.

@tomX likes this.
  5. Slagr

Slagr Newbie

Reputations:
    I believe it's MSI/Clevo. Can't say I did my due diligence prior to ordering but while I can boot in SG mode it doesn't appear to be using the 980m. I haven't worked much with Linux on laptops with discrete GPUs so that might be the problem at the OS level but it also doesn't appear in the BIOS list of graphics devices. This is true in both legacy and UEFI. I can't imagine this being the case, but do I need to set SG mode before plugging in the card? I've been plugging it in then switching from IGFX to SG. Should I try to run a live Win10 session to see if it recognizes it?

6. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    No, the card should be recognized as "nVidia Graphics Card" or something like that I think.

Perhaps something wrong with the card? Can you test in any other computer?

7. Slagr

Slagr Newbie

Reputations:
    This is the only MXM machine I have access to. Is it worth plugging into the secondary slot to see if it's recognized there when running in IGFX? Could rule out the mobo slot.

For what it's worth the old 675m cards also cause 8 beeps in PEG but they are recognized in BIOS.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  8. JTech80

JTech80 Newbie

Reputations:
    When I try to run it, it says it's not compatible with 64 bit systems. Any Ideas?

9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    hint: needs to run in a USB DOS environment aka not windows 64 bit.

10. JTech80

JTech80 Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree, I’m by no means a computer programmer. I tried following the directions to no avail because when I tried to boot from UEFI the options to boot from usb didn’t show up. I created a new boot option and tried again, got the new Alienware logo but security is blocking it and I can’t simply disable security. There’s only a custom option to clear all security keys. I used to be proficient in all this but over the years I’ve lost my skills and am trying to learn it again so I can play the new flight simulator without buying a new computer. I’ve already spent over $500 trying this upgrade and am down to this. Just need to to flash my bios with the unlocked A11 so it recognizes my new 980m. Thanks for the reply though, I’ll figure it out soon enough.