[Release] Improved M18x R2 Maxwell Legacy BIOS

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah you have to run the 10 series in SG. I don't have my hardware ID code here at work but I can post it later.

2. godlikemouse

godlikemouse Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome work @javers, I can't wait to try this out.

3. jerryzago

jerryzago Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @javers I saw you altered the device id in the bios for another one, so the installer could detect a compatible hardware.

Won't that cause any gpu related problems?

4. javers

javers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @jerryzago yes the subvendor id has been changed from that of the M18x R2 over to the one from the AW18, which has native driver support from Nvidia for the 700m-900m series of cards, but that's why I said its important to only flash if you have installed 7/8/9xx cards as it will certainly break your drivers if you have an original 600 series card still in your laptop.

I've tested the bios with a few people I know with M18x R2s and 970/980m cards none have reported any problems with their gpus or other device drivers etc for other parts of the motherboard (looks like the subvendor id is only used for gpu drivers).

You can always flash back again if you find any adverse effects.

Javers

5. Mkkillah

Mkkillah Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome! I'll try it out once I get my 980M.

6. jerryzago

jerryzago Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @javers don't get me wrong. It is a brilliant idea. I have tested it. For those that use your BIOS I suggest to use DDU and install BOTH nvidia and intell drivers. My intel drivers acted funny at the beggining making chrome crashing a lot.

Great idea.

javers likes this.
  7. UltraGSM

UltraGSM ...so many Alienwares...

Reputations:
    @javers

I wonder would it be possible to add HWID of MSI 4GB 980M to this mod version of VBIOS? Also, what are the chances making such card boot in legacy via PEG only?
    I gotta PM you about this...

8. Slagr

Slagr Newbie

Reputations:
    Picked up a used M18xR2 with (apparently) two dead 675m cards. Managed to revive the cards for about 4 months with a heat gun but when they died again I decided to upgrade to a single 980m 8GB.

Despite flashing this BIOS I am unable to get it to recognize the card. It boots in IGFX and SG modes but BIOS does not list the card in the discrete graphics section, nor does my OS (tried KDE Neon and Manjaro Linux). PEG and AUTO modes result in 8 beeps, no POST. I understand there may be some issue with gsync versions of this card and that a vBIOS flash might be required? Can anyone give me more information of this, such as how to identify gsync cards? The part number listed from the seller on ebay says the card is N16E-GX-A1 but web searching this only returns shopping links. I'm currently running the machine on the igpu but it feels wasteful not to maximize its potential.

Also, are there any chassis mods that allow easier access to the MXM slots? Unplugging the wifi antenna every time is a massive pain.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  9. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To get to the GPU’s you have to remove the palmrest which means removing the display which means unplugging the wifi cables. Unfortunately that’s how it is. It’s a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think you have to be in PEG for the 980M.... maybe I’m wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk