[Release] Improved M18x R2 Maxwell Legacy BIOS

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I'm assuming you flashed the BIOS and everything went according to expectations?

2. MagicMike

MagicMike Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes I did and it did, seamless, but even if I didn't I would still buy you a beer!

3. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I guess I’ll have to give it a go. Thanks man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The M18x R2 is still great machine for my uses and planning to get a GTX 970M for it as it's a desent enough card for my uses so I have the 1060 or 1070 to look farward to when I can justify the price. :-D

I'm still tossing between the M18x R2 and M17x R4 as my main laptop though. :-D

It's VERY unfortunate that the MXM form factor has been stopped as the MXM format could do soo much for even small desktop systems but I suppose with newer small systems "like intels PCIE NUC" that can run full size GPU's it'll probably make MXM obsolet.

As far as I know, the Alienware Area 51M is the only latest system with a DGPU? But still no replacement for the M18x R2. :)

Thank you very much for fixing the logo! It is working and looks great, thank you for your work! :-D

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    The M18x had may premium feature, not limited to edge-to-edge glass display, aluminum chassis, an abundance of ports for both legacy and future tech, HDMI passthrough, three 2.5" slots, mSATA slot, DMC, stout power delivery components, etc....it really was a pinnacle of engineering. There hasn't been a proper successor to the M18x in the 8 years after its initial release, which is really quite sad.

6. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I'm currently in UEFI do I need to reset to Legacy before I can flash this? I'm assuming this will mean reinstalling Windows again.....

7. Johndill

Johndill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I enabled legacy, booted into DOS, did the flash, restarted into bios and set it back to UEFI and windows 10 booted no worries, so no reinstall required for me. :)

Maxware79 and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.
  8. javers

javers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi @Raidriar

Hope you don't mind I've made a mod to your version of the bios to add native support for the latest Nvidia drivers on the M18x R2 so no more editing .infs etc required to do driver installs. Hopefully make life easier for those who have upgraded to 970/980m cards etc. All other mods / unlocks remain the same as contributed by their original authors.

Please note - this will only work for Nvidia 700m-900m series cards. DONT flash if you still have a 600 series gfx card as your driver then wont natively install. Also you must be running in PEG mode for this to work (no Optimus support atm).

Edit: Sadly no native support for the g-sync 900 series cards either.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQkhyPppV58i4JrFSu-_1E_L0uRBw?e=TaLCsv

Cheers,

Javers

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    UltraGSM, @tomX, ssj92 and 2 others like this.
  9. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow, great work! I'm interested to see a few people give it a go. So no good for the 10 series cards though?

10. javers

javers Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Maxware79 not with that version, but I think it should be possible to achieve. I assume everyone running a 10 series in an M18x R2 is using optimus? Just need to know the pnpids / values you're changing in the nvidia inf file to get the driver to install.

Javers

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Maxware79 likes this.