[Release] Alienware 18 BIOS A12 Unlocked

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Mar 7, 2017.

1. ErikO

ErikO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not good enough.

I want the fans to spin up earlier than they do - automatically, every time I boot, and I do not care to have / hear HWinfo spin 'em up at 100% all the time...

2. TheDantee

TheDantee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In windows they spin up... I keep mine 100 through that method and no issues... Having them load through bios is a different story in which I can't help you on

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Nothing can fix Dell's screwed up fan profiles. You will need Hwinfo for max Cpu overclock.

Ashtrix likes this.
  4. ErikO

ErikO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I do not wish to have my fans at 100% unless absolutely necessary, and an unlocked bios will allow me to change the point at which they 'kick in'.

I'm well aware of the Hwinfo method, and for years have disliked it.

Cheers.

5. TheDantee

Reputations:
    You could possibly setup a macro key config that when pressed loads fans to max... Newer laptops have a button for these so I'm sure u could set something similar

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

6. domain234

domain234 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The fans do not run 100%. The cpu 3700rpm, should go to 4200rpm, the gpu one to 3500, and the other to 3300 ONLY !!! 3300RPM IS RIDICULOUS This is very few rev. My other team "m17x R4 runs the fans at 4600 gpu and 5100 cpu, with that configuration this m17x R4 does not go above 65º with 980m both gpu and cpu @ 4,3Ghz whit ic diamond 24, however in the Aw18 I can easily reach 80 gpu and 90 cpu, and 90 cpu using Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut It irritates me so much that I'm thinking of selling this portable cripple The only way for this crippled team to run the fans 100% is by doing this in the 2 fans of the gpu: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-run-fans-at-max-anytime-alienware-18.742649/
    and enabling ec in hwinfo to control only the cpu

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Papusan likes this.
  7. TheDantee

Reputations:
    My fans run at the same speed as u stated above. The M17x, M14x and 18 are all different. the M14x has an 11.4CFM Fan in it that does like 7000RPM I think, but only has that one fan, thats alot different than the speed for a system with 3 fans. my AW 18 OC CPU and GPU with TG Conductonaut, CPU sits under 65C and GPUS under 60 usually mid to low 50s on the GPUs. you could pick up a cooler like the Cooler Master U3 and Modify the Fans to push of 107CFM per fan with 3 EK Vardar 3000RPM Fans. As for EC Support I said disable not enable. There is a somewhat thick black mesh on the bottom of the fan filter when you open the Laptop. I have removed that so that could also be affecting my temps.

Ashtrix likes this.
  8. domain234

Reputations:
    In the CPU I have the fan j77h4 with 11.7cfm. To be able to adapt it, to lengthen the cable. Even so, it reaches 90º. I have tried four heatsink "3pipes" in case it was deformed, nothing works. The only solution that could be made is the one described above. I live in the Canary Islands, here it is easy to reach 35 / 40º ambient temperature in summer. Tremendous idea that Dell's had when CAPAR THE FANS IN THIS WAY so that the system did not make noise

Papusan likes this.
  9. TheDantee

Reputations:
    The Fans are junk, its Dellienware they cheap out on everything possible... have you seen the new BGA Crapbooks. Anyway your temps are awfully high. is the system elevated to receive enough air through the bottom? do you have a laptop cooler? I recommend you try removing the Black Mesh on the bottom of the Fan Filter when you open the laptop to see if that helps any. I would strongly recommend you buy a Cooler Master U3 and perform this modification done by @Mr. Fox you can see many versions of his mod for the cooler in these images - http://imgur.com/a/7RmEM , http://imgur.com/a/IGq3C, http://imgur.com/a/iZ192
    Just use the EK Vardar 3000RPM Fans (or any fan of your choosing, the Vardar seems to offer tons of airflow) instead of the Rosewill Fans shown in the video. Did u put the Liquid Metal on both the Die of the CPU/GPU and the Heatsink?

Ashtrix, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. domain234

Reputations:
    I have removed the black maya from the bottom, I have put additional copper dice. I have the base of coler master u3, but with the fans that it brings. I have them disconnected from the usb, because it gives me the same temp to have them put that without. As soon as I have time I will try to modify the U3, to see if I can lower the temp a little more before selling the equipment

Ok, as soon as I can I'll do that mod, to see if I can reduce the temp. By the way, the processor is a 4940mx, it asks for enough voltage to be able to run 4.3ghz on all cores for 24/7. I think it is partly responsible for reaching 90 degrees. They are very bad for the ocean