[Release] Alienware 18 BIOS A12 Unlocked

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Mar 7, 2017.

1. utumkodur

utumkodur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    BOOOOOOOOOM Fixed!

I have found another, muuuuuuuuuuch easier way:

You need:

1. hex editor, I'm using HxD: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
    2. "bios.bin" file already modded by Pythonic

Instruction:

1. Open "bios.bin" in hex editor
    2. In menu bar hit "Search" and "Replace"
    3. In "Search for" type service tag You want to change, in "Replace with" type original service tag of Your machine
    4. Change "Search direction" to "All"
    5. Press "Replace All"
    6. Save changes
    7. Flash BIOS using modified "bios.bin" and tools/instruction provided by Pythonic
    8. Restart unit, access BIOS, IT WORKS!

I am not taking ANY responsibility for that. It worked on my AW18 but it does not mean it will work on/won't brick Your device.

Service tag/express service code are properly changed in BIOS/Dell SupportAssist. Dell System Detect is properly detecting original service tag. There is one issue I have found so far. Dell SupportAssist did not update warranty status. Despite proper service tag/express service code it shows warranty status for Raidriar machine which is already expired.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    skindoe, Aroc, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  2. HossainE

HossainE Newbie

Reputations:
    can you please PM me the service tag that has to be replace with the laptop original service tag, so I do it before flashing the bois?

3. @tomX

@tomX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tremendous work here! Congratz guys!

4. thewayofwright

thewayofwright Newbie

Reputations:
    Does this unlocked bios include option for support for RAID 5 like it did for svl7's InsydeH2O unlocked bios back on the m18x R2? I was using 3 identical drives back then, one of which was mSATA.

5. knowltg

knowltg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

6. knowltg

knowltg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did this and it worked from my alienware 18. the problems is I had to load Raidriar's version to get his service tag so i can find it and replace with mine. if you open the bios.bin with the hex editor provided search 5819f72 and replace with your servicetag #. I take no credit for the work done I just figure I would take a step out of the process. also if you want to get a dump of your bios before you load this one you do everything you do to load the unlocked bios but instead of fptw64 -f bios.bin -bios, use fptw64 -d bios.bin -bios, actually for your sake you can change the bios.bin to mybios.bin to help distinguish the two. it will save it in the same directory. also so you dont have to do the memory thing on every change of the bios, Load optimal defaults. before you do anything.

7. redphoenix

redphoenix Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello Community,

I am looking for assistance on flashing an unlocked bios for my AW 18. This is my first attempt at unlocking bios for any laptop.

Specification:
    i7 4930MX @ 3.0 GHz
    32 GB RAM
    GTX 780M X2
    BIOS A12

Should I use the file provided by the original poster?

How do I customize a personal unlocked bios? I did a search for the name pythonic instruction I could not find it on google search.

Thank you for any response to help me get started.

8. redphoenix

redphoenix Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello Alex,

I would like to know how to get a personal modded bios for my AW18. Could you assist?