[Release] Alienware 18 BIOS A12 Unlocked

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Infinaris

Infinaris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The machine is mainly just for gaming on the go. I know the 880ms had issues alright but it wasnt the same with the 980ms was it? That bios though would it work on the machine Im looking at? Or does it need its own "custom" bios?

2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    980Ms work fine in the Alienware 18 as long as you don't plan to overclock them significantly or try to undervolt them. Dell BIOS A12 introduced maxwell support for Alienware 18. The main purpose of this mod was to try to fix the fan tables (works only for extreme CPU) and to enable manual graphics switching as well as patch a few files to enable native OSx86 support

Dr. AMK likes this.
  3. Infinaris

Reputations:
    Thats really all I need tbh. I dont really bother with significant overclocking myself I only got the 980m's so my m18x could handle newer games. I never bothered with overclocking on the m18x its only for 1080p gaming for me personally. The machine Ive been looking at has a 4940mx and I mainly use it for mmo gaming in 1080 so this mod would suit it for keeping it cool I take it?

4. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    If you already have a m18x R2 there is seriously no reason to get a Alienware 18. 4930MX is a hot chip, more power hungry, minimal if any performance gain that could easily be offset by overclocking the 3920XM/3940XM. I really don't recommend you go that route.

kaza and Ashtrix like this.
  5. Infinaris

Reputations:
    After getting your post I thought it over and decided to leave it in the end. That and I thinking it over I felt I might be paying a bit too much as well. Might still grab one down the road but only if its much cheaper tbh (definately would still grab one if it was sub €1000 with a 4940 without GPU's). Might reconsider that clevo or try and push my M18X another year or 2 expecially with rumors of a mobile 1080 ti (though the date on some says april 1st hmmmmm.....)

6. tanzmeister

tanzmeister Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

is there a Optimus mode available?

7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Yes, set graphics to SG and good to go

8. utumkodur

utumkodur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    !BEWARE!

Info below should be pinned to the first post:

Flashing modded BIOS from 1st Raidriar post on the 1st page will "inject" his service tag into Your machine. If You want to keep Your tag You MUST ask pythonic for personal mod.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Dr. AMK, Ashtrix and Awhispersecho like this.
  9. skindoe

skindoe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Damn, I've been running this Bios for a few weeks now and only just realized I have lost my service tag :(

Will send a PM to Pythonic for a custom mod as I would prefer to retain my service tag.

10. utumkodur

utumkodur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If You did a backup of Your original BIOS before flashing Raidriar version You can restore it, dump it and send to Pythonic for modding but if You didn't make a backup I think it is already too late my friend. I have spend last whole night googling tools for changing service tag and only option to fix it is swapping motherboard ;(
    Raidriar service tag is already injected and if You run bios dump tool it will dump bios with Raidriar service tag because its already "in". Clearing NVRAM does not help as well. Flashing original BIOS from DELL webpage does not help either.

I have found posts about "Dell Portables EEPROM Erase Program - E-Family ee-cpb.EXE" which is only available for dell technicians. With this tool You can theoretically change service tag in UEFI motherboards but I couldn't find it anywhere and can't confirm if it works.

BUT if You find anyway to fix it skindoe please let me know :)

EDIT#1: "Dell Portables EEPROM Erase Program - E-Family ee-cpb.EXE" won't work ;(

EDIT#2: After plenty hours of googling we need two files: SMMFGCFG.EXE or SMMFGCFG32/64.EXE and s2token.tbl
    This tools is able to play with service tag/asset tag on UEFI motherboards.
    I got already SMMFGCFG.EXE which is 16bit and can be run in DOS environment (SMMFGCFG32/64.EXE can be run directly in OS) but 2token.tbl it is a mistery. I read that this file is only available in internal DELL network and only high-level technicians have access to it :(

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Dr. AMK and Ashtrix like this.