[Release] Alienware 18 BIOS A12 Unlocked

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Mar 7, 2017.

1. utumkodur

utumkodur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ding ding, any feedback from non MX users ?

2. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    That feature is exclusive to the U / XM / MX CPUs we are better not to touch if we have MQ/QM machines, applies to the Windows Driver/software too.

These should help more - DPTF NBR & more documentation
    In our case since the BIOS is Unlocked those options might be showing up, So that's the reason why we (MQ CPU owners) aren't able to control this setting.

Dell locked the fantables harder first but after complaints they patched the BIOS, updated & relaxed them a bit by allowing the 780M 100W TDP HW cool better but the CPU heatsink is 2 pipe on the AW17, which poses another issue but thanks to the fan mods and Alteast I'm glad that this Unlocked BIOS opens up new possibilites for controlling the Fan tables via Intel DPTF atleast better than nothing on the Haswell machines

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Dr. AMK and Papusan like this.
  3. utumkodur

utumkodur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What about Thermal Configuration options in advance menu, does it work/does not work for non MX/XM users ?

4. @tomX

@tomX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So now the legacy boot option for Maxwell cards (960M, 965M, 970M, and 980M) works with this?

5. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Legacy option support was with Dell update on AW18, AW17 doesn't have this ability as Dell didn't update the AW17 R1 with Maxwell, Unfortunately I don't think that's happening with some Unlocked BIOS thanks to Secure Flash, can't be hacked with the current CPU power need extreme logic hacker.

6. Infinaris

Infinaris Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Out of interest whats this bios default set for? I'm thinking of picking up a 2nd hand A18 with a 4940MX processor atm would this bios flash no problem onto it? Only reason I'm considering this is while I'm still using my M18X its twitchy with windows 10 sometimes on startup when it comes to initialising the GPU's since the 980m's werent originally for that machine.

The one im eyeing is €1900 for a 2 1/2 yr old A18 which is compatable with my 980m's and currently has 880m's in it. Just want to be sure this unlocked bios can be installed onto it and boot without issue before I buy that machine.

Also wondering if its worth it too switching my M18Xr2 for a A18 instead.....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  7. Infinaris

Reputations:
    Its a ghost forum here these days? V_V

8. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    AW18 can't work with Pascal HW due to the eDP requirement, Plus the 980Ms aren't capable of running Max OC in that machine due to the mobo hardcap on max 330-440W but it runs the SLI without hitch (Still there are some issues with Fans I guess) vs the M18x R2. Next is the unlocked sBIOS on the AW18 gives you options to run the SG/dGPU modes control and CPU overclock control, Fan control if you have an MX chip with the help of Intel DPTF as you can read in this thread, And Raidriar modified the sBIOS making it capable of running the Hackintosh as you can see it on the OP.

M18x R2 on the other hand has the capability to run the Pascal HW due to the Panther Point PCH on Ivy Platform, Well the M17x R4 runs it.

Next up IMHO the M18x R2 - Avenger Mark II is a legend - It's a memento of the Alienware corp which is dead now, Just keep it, the 980M SLI on that is a hassle hit or miss, but single shines, Maybe the 1070 or 1060 can run on it with the help of Optimus/Intel FDI. A collectible, I'd surely get one in the future..:cool:

As for the Price, Try the NBR marketplace for the AW18 you are interested in, Would help if you want to get one for good price at Price check subforum.

Edit : Updated the Pascal MXM compatibility ;)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    aaronne likes this.
  9. Infinaris

Reputations:
    If I decide on getting anything past the 9xx series it will involve a completely new laptop at that point. Im nearly tempted to skip the 10xx series and maybe even the 11xx series that will come out and maybe upgrade to a new machine entirely once the 12xx series rolls round in 2 or 3 years. The M18Xr2 has served me well for 5 years it's just beginning to show its age at this point since its having trouble handling windows 10 sometimes which seems to be down to the graphics cards and video drivers (looks like at times it fails to initialise the cards sometimes during a cold bootup) not to mention other occasional hiccups. Also has a nuisance bug atm with the latest update where the wireless will detect the wifi but clicking the next button after password entry just does nothing no matter how much I click it. Prolly needs a reinstall again or something (even though I only installed a dual boot OS setup last week! Ah well least windows 7 works though it likes to be a pest in its own ways.....)

Realistically I'm only eyeing up the A18 because Raidar managed to get someone to FINALLY unlock the bios so certain things could be changed to fix issues like thermals and because If I do get this it would be a 2 1/2 year old machine that could tie me over for another few years. In addition I've those 2 980m's that would work better with the a18 since it got bios support and Win 10 support and the M18X only got it in legacy due to the nice guys here reverse engineering the modules from the A18. Really wanted a new 18 inch machine but atm it seems 17 inch is the max and anything else is BGA crap aka junkware. I honestly dont even bother overclocking my laptop tbh as I prefer to keep it in good condition not to mention I mainly just have the one 330w supply anyways so Im stuck at that regardless just want a working machine for gaming thats less..... tempermental.

Basically I wonder if with this unlocked A18 Bios that we can set the machine to sort the reported thermal problems that this machine had (ie can set the fans to come on at the right time) and maybe work properly and smoothly with existing hardware. Im not interested really in pascal mobile at this point since as I've said any newer cards for mobile gaming in the future will involve a new system anyways that isnt BGA.

Ashtrix likes this.
  10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I wouldn't bother with the Alienware 18, it was a piece of **** machine from day 1. M18x r2 is getting old, still serves my needs just fine, but definitely not worth upgrading in this point in time. I will probably be moving to a desktop from here, between Clevo's games and BGA options everywhere, nothing I find is convincing any more.

Dr. AMK and Solo wing like this.