[Release] Alienware 18 BIOS A12 Unlocked

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Mar 7, 2017.

1. AlexG73SW

AlexG73SW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    absolutely right. I mentioned about it. You can easily brick your laptop by changing the settings which are not applicable to your machine. I find it necessary to update the first post with this precaution. Go and get custom BIOS for your particular machine. It will be safe and stable.

indeed. I have never told about beating secure flash. We were all looking for the way to get full menu access for our A18 machines. It took some efforts to find this way. I was searching for this key despite others stating it was not possible. If your are looking for the way to beat secure flash you are not in right place I think.

Now I would like to get some experienced advice about proper setup of bios settings.
    I tried playing with DPTF but all I have after lowering down temps is just throttling of Cpu starts earlier (with lower temps). I don't know how Raidriar succeed to make cpu fan running earlier.

Maybe Mr. Fox can take his dusty A18 from the shelf and take a look on it?))

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    No need. I already told told users if they brick they can use the NVRAM reset method to recover a soft brick, just remove RAM, remove power adapter, disconnect battery, turn on computer with AC adapter, wait for the 2 beeps to finish, then hotswap in RAM in between restarts to clear NVRAM and have the BIOS default settings for detected hardware. The BIOS is find to use on any Alienware 18.

Fox sold his Alienware 18 quite a while ago.

Dr. AMK, Ashtrix and Aroc like this.
  3. AlexG73SW

Reputations:
    it's up to you, folks, but I don't see any reason for risk and difficulties when it's so easy to get unlocked riskfree bios for designated machine.

4. encor50

encor50 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    how do you do that ?

Aroc likes this.
  5. AlexG73SW

Reputations:
    check pm

6. utumkodur

utumkodur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just received unlocked bios for my aw18 but intel dptf still switches to disabled after every restart.

So it looks like it works only with MX cpus, same as with "Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Driver for Extreme CPU" which is available on Dell webpage. Could someone with non MX cpu could check and provide feedback ?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  7. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Wow really amazing. Atleast the bypass works on the hacked BIOS...
    So I think people need to flash this and NVRAM reset so that BIOS could load defaults for the selected HW. A minor issue but a huge advantage.

Also that custom patch for OS X is a bonus !!
    +rep to OP for this wonderful contribution.

Edit : Alienware 17 also got the unlocked BIOS, check it out..

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  8. AlexG73SW

Reputations:
    Yes, I think in our case Intel DPTF works only for Extreme CPUs. But indeed when I start playing with DPTF temps settings I have only more heavy throttling of cpu and I can get no any cooling improvement as Raidriar stated.
    My opinion you will not loose too much without DPTF.

9. utumkodur

utumkodur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Maybe I am doing something wrong but after playing with unlocked bios for my pc I think that Advance->Thermal Configuration do not work as intended. I was playing with profile temperatures and actually it does not make any difference. It does not matter what temperature is set for particular thermal points, fan rpms are not adjusted according to that settings at all. I did even choose the lowest available temperature as starting point for high fan profile so if I understand this correctly fan should spin on max rpms all the time right after power on but it does not work like this. Fan spins according to some "hidden" plan :D

10. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Did you clear the NVRAM ?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017