[Release] Alienware 18 BIOS A12 Unlocked

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Mar 7, 2017.

1. islam

islam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i just installed a 4930MX CPU on my alienware 18 with the A12 unlocked bios but i cant install the intel dynamic platform driver form any of these links :-
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=D4G6R
    or from the official Alienware 18 driver page here
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/alienware-18/drivers

i know there is a thread about the intel dynamic platform confusion here
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...r-on-dell-drivers-downloads-confusion.681669/
    but its no longer accepts replies . @Mr. Fox any idea why i cant install the (intel dynamic platform & thermal framework driver) even when i have the 4930mx now ?

Attached Files:

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    From whaI remember, you'll need change settings in bios (change to cTDP) to let it install. But why do you want this installed?

A few post regarding DPTF
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/search/36102800/?q=DPTF&o=relevance&c[user][0]=612304

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    islam likes this.
  3. islam

islam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From what I understand ( which I could be wrong ) that this software will allow the bios to show all the hidden settings for the fan tables so i will be able able to control change them . I got this idea from another thread here , which was showing all the fan tables for the alienware 18 on A9 bios ) and it was the reason why we got the A12 unlocked bios .. correct me if I'm wrong

4. Papusan

Reputations:
    It's a very long time since I tested DPTF on my Aw17. But from what I remember I got less performance from my overclocking. Not so into this with "show all the hidden settings for the fan tables with DPTF". Maybe bro @Ashtrix have more info.

Ashtrix and islam like this.
  5. islam

islam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks man, to be honest my top priority is the cpu speed . So if this effect it negatively then I don't need it . I'm using HWinfo to control the fans manually and its more then enough, but I thought it could be a bonus to fix the fan speeds that I like over the bios and let it work automatically without me needing to adjust it Manually every time I run a heavy software

Papusan likes this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, performance will always come first. And Hwinfo to control fans is enough.
    upload_2020-7-10_23-29-17.png

islam and Ashtrix like this.
  7. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    For the first link you posted there the Alienware 17/18 aren't listed and it's the updated for Win10 Creators Update which is very old by now it's public release was on October 17, 2017 (SAC release 18Months EOL) , as for the AW18 page for driver downloads the .exe installation the OS support lists as Windows 8.1.

Not sure if you have all the OEM chipset drivers installed or let Win10 install them for you, perhaps you can try to do one thing, unzip the DPTF .exe package from the AW18 page with 7zip and if you see any Driver unidentified in the Device Manager you can try to point to that extracted driver files to install the DPTF.

That is the general process that I would try to do it. Maybe the driver that Dell has works only with Windows 7 and 8.1, I don't think anyone here uses those OSes anymore I run 8.1 but I do not have an MX chip to test it, AW18 BIOS though has that Maxwell VGA driver for the 980M to boot with Win7, maybe try Win7 installation ? Pascal definitely needs Win8.1/10 to allow the GPU upgrade for sure for that full UEFI.

As for the Unlocked BIOS to show hidden settings, yeah as per this thread initial pages of discussions what was established is overriding the EC control to enable the Temperature control to ramp up fans quickly.

Also as Papusan mentioned HWinfo maxout is a good option, the fan full blast only the BIOS flash sadly. Stupid Dell BS limits to make people think everything is fine as long as I do not hear noise.

Brother Papusan, unfortunately so far no AW17+Unlocked sBIOS confirmed DPTF driver + MX chips working on the AW17, last time I heard here.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    islam and Papusan like this.
  8. islam

islam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you Ashtrix for the detaild reply,
    Great idea about unzipping the driver and check, didn't cross my mind .
    I would agree with u that it could be a windows version issue .
    But I think if as @Papusan said if it will reduce the overclocking performance then its not worth it since HWinfo can solve the fan issues in a convenient way.

9. islam

islam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You got a great score here , may I know what is ur overclocking settings ?