[Release] Alienware 18 BIOS A12 Unlocked

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Mar 7, 2017.

1. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why not just replace the MOSFETs, they are bog standard components and you can put much better parts today for a couple $(with lower RDSon, so they heat less).

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Probably just lack of know how for many of us. I don't have the 18 personally but would love it for my ranger.

Is there any precedent for this sort of thing? I have seen it on desktop gpu's and such for the overvolt mods

3. imest

imest Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My hands shake too much for it to be possible for me to do it, plus I do not have the equipment / know how to do such a task. :)

4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When I worked in the laptop repair world burned up DC-IN MOSFETs where the bread and butter of the day, its a couple minutes of work after having the laptop tear down, all you need is a soldering iron and an hot air station, if you are in the USA, and dont know how to solder, an hackerspace will be the best place to hit and ask for help.

5. DoubleHelixx

DoubleHelixx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FYI 980M is Maxwell not Pascal. Pascal started with the GTX10xx series: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidi...-1080-SLI-GTX-1070-and-GTX-1060.171566.0.html

@TheCodeBreaker This seems like a smart thing to do. Do you mind giving a quick explanation of exactly what program you used and where you changed the service tag? Any tips on saving out the file or whatever would be greatly appreciated.

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    That doesnt really relate to @Ashtrix is speaking to, the AW18 cant drive the max potential of the 980m due to how much power it will need to do so (over 115w closer to 200w). This is due to the lackluster VRMs on the motherboard, they tend to burn out.

Would be very interesting if replacing the VRMs with better iterations more suitable to the platform and how that could effect the systems longevity though.

Ashtrix and DoubleHelixx like this.
  7. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    Hmmm...OK. I have just purchased a single 980M for my AW18 r1 currenlty with 770M. I see someone got a 1070 running in the AW18 r1 with low power consumption: https://tinyurl.com/vdp4cv2

I would be willing to try to upgrade the VRMs. Is that possible?

8. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can someone source high res photos of the motherboard, so I can take a look into it?

Papusan likes this.
  9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    If running in SG mode is acceptable than yeah the 1070 works, isn't my personal choice but of course I don't have the aw18.

10. DoubleHelixx

Reputations:
    @senso Are you referring to my question "Can I upgrade the VRMs?" or imest's MOSFET problem?