[Release] Alienware 18 BIOS A12 Unlocked

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Mar 7, 2017.

1. encor50

encor50 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    how do i backup my own bios ? thanks :)

tracy561 likes this.
  2. encor50

encor50 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Kade Storm and Ashtrix like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Same results with only the microcode patch as well? Or have Dell screwed up the performance even more than needed?

Ashtrix likes this.
  5. Raidriar

Reputations:
    i don't know, did not test because if it does update the microcode, there may not be a way to downgrade.....so no experiment for me. Also my Alienware 18 is long dead and parted out.....junk computer.

ssj92, Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  6. opacik

opacik Newbie

Reputations:
    I already upgraded stock bios a12 to a13 on aw18/4930mx during installing new system with drivers from dell website, cause I wasn't aware of such meltdown/spectre possible performance loss... poor fool, why it happened while everything worked well on a12 :)
    Why dellsh*t doesn't inform on his bios download page that it can be perf losses after flashing? It's a liitle bit cheating from their side.
    But let's hope perf loss won't be so visible if it really occurs... but it's not my main problem... I'd like to change my 980ms sli to 1070m and read that it is necessary to change to SG mode... afik it's impossible in aw18 stock bios (I didn't have time to check a13 settings thoroughly but suppose that).
    So if it wouldn't be chance to downgrade to a12 which can be 100% unblocked, I will be probably the first person in the world who asks sb like pythonic to unblock bios a13... anyone knows if it can be unblocked easily like a12?

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    The huge performance loss for older than Skylake chips with meltdown/spectre fix is well documented on the web.

Ashtrix likes this.
  8. skindoe

skindoe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi All, just a heads up; You can always roll back from the A13 bios to the A12 bios by simply running the A12 bios installer. I had noticed my AW18 was noticeably slower after updating to the A13 bios, so I ran the A12 installer and it rolled back fine. PC is now performing as per norm.

electrosoft and Kade Storm like this.
  9. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    I updated an AW18 from A12 to A13 and Cinebench stayed the same (~800) @ 4Ghz, but that wasn't the unlocked variant. When I come across another AW18 build out, Ill give the unlocked version a run if it allows undervolting via BIOS since C states set really sets it up for a sweet, sweet OSX86 box.

10. Raidriar

Reputations:
    I don’t remember if I patched the package c state lock in this bios but I can do it later, so that you stop having to patch the kernel and appleintelcpupoweanagement.kext

electrosoft likes this.