[Release] Alienware 18 BIOS A12 Unlocked

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's finally been done ladies and gentlemen. A hacker by the scene name "pythonic" has patched my decrypted dump of the Alienware 18 A12 BIOS, patched to open all menus unlocked, I custom patched the BIOS as well to disable package C-state lock so that you can use Mac OS X on Alienware 18 without the need for a patched kernel.

Procedure:
    1. If you are not already on BIOS A12, please download directly from Dell and flash. Download link here: https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03304100M/1/AW18A12.exe

2. Download modified BIOS here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5dGmVHDQ7iubFNnSWw0Y1NTalU/view?usp=sharing

3. Extract contents of the unlocked BIOS A12 zip file to the root of your disk drive (C:/)

4. Open a command window in admin mode, redirect to root directory (cd C:/)

5. DO NOT CLOSE COMMAND WINDOW. Put computer to sleep, then wake the computer.

6. Type the following command in and execute: fptw64 -f bios.bin -bios

7. Wait for operation to complete, then reboot into your unlocked A12 BIOS!

Shout out to AlexG73SW for getting me Pythonic's info + dump tool and Pythonic for patching the BIOS.

Lots of new options added + ability to finally change video card from BIOS and not windows.

Pythonic's donation links are here:
    Paypal - biosmod8@gmail.com
    or
    BTC - 175WaQRqyk1eCmsDdRLSnttRVg7Jn7Ppgn

Enjoy everybody, this was long, long overdue.

PS: In case of soft brick for incorrect values, just do the RAM hotswap trick. Disconnect AC adapter, pop your RAM out, power on computer, allow itself to 2-beep itself until it shuts off, then hotswap RAM in before the lights cut back on. This will clear any invalid NVRAM settings.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Mr. Fox, tracy561, Kade Storm and 8 others like this.
  2. AlexG73SW

AlexG73SW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would like to WARN everybody that all mods are personal and each mod is done for particular machine. Take care, as flashing the bios modded for another machine may make your machine clone or even brick your laptop.
    The BIOS provided here was unlocked for particular machine of Raidriar. I suggest to all who interested to get unlocked safe stable BIOS for your machine.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  3. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    Is it possible to send him the M17-R1 and he unlocks it too ? Donations at least from my side will be provided.

4. utumkodur

utumkodur Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Great work guys, cant wait to finish work and test it on my machine. Does the mod is compatible also with non MX cpu and gtx 780m ?

5. skindoe

skindoe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Many thanks to the effort of Pythonic - you have succeeded where many have failed. Good work!

Loaded this on my AW18 - it's basic specs are 4910 cpu and AMD m290x crossfire with 32gb ram. The bios works, however, first time I went in and changed a few basic settings (number lock on on boot up etc.) it bricked the pc. I ended up removing all the ram, bios battery and normal battery to do a bios clear, then it reset for me and was able to display the bios. Please note: It does default to raid after reset, so if you are not running a raid array, you will potentially need to change this as required. Otherwise, it does indeed function and many settings are unlocked.

Now for someone much more bios savvy than me to work out what we need to do and post it up here...

6. GodlikeRU

GodlikeRU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why do You need to sleep? Is this a bug in Secure Flash or it's implementation in AW18?

7. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    something is weird. if you have XTU installed, make sure you remove it and delete the profiles option too when uninstalling, reboot twice, then go into BIOS, reset to default settings, then save exit, enter BIOS again, and make your adjustments. NVRAM is still an issue here.

@GodlikeRU yes there is a secureflash exploit involving sleep

8. AlexG73SW

AlexG73SW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have now custom unlocked A12 for my 4930mx gtx 780m sli machine. Works good. I don't see any significant difference with A09 unlocked.
    Any bios can be modded for particular machine and flashed. For any configuration. With few precautions...

9. skindoe

skindoe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have had XTU installed previously, but it has been uninstalled for quite a while. Checked for profiles, could not see any leftover data from XTU. Thanks for the reply though.

10. Faadi786

Faadi786 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Fantastic work folks...Props too all of the modders, tinkerers, and people who like to extract every ounce of performance out of their machines...Glad to see the "impossible" has finally been made possible. So what real world benefits will we see or expect to see with an unlocked bios other than the benefit to OSX ? No where close to being as technical as many users on this forum so here are a few questions. Does an unlocked bios expand upgradability for Gpu, ram, or LCD panel? Can this help achieve a higher Overclock with a 4940mx or other unlocked/overclockable chips? Since the alw18 and alw17 shared a similar bios is it possible to do the same with the alw17 bios? Lastly I think this may have already been asked but heck why not...will we now be able to make a custom more aggressive fan table?