[Release] 980M Single Undervolted vBIOS

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Raidriar, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryzago

jerryzago Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you tried this vbios? I remember on my single 980m and with premas bios, I was hitting 79 tops in fallout 4 with the fans blasting at 4200. Maximum power was 127watt max.

I am using the latest 'mobile' drivers modded by me and utilization for both gpus is around 65 tops. Temps never exceed 72 degrees.

Check again for proper heatsink contact.

2. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh I'm single GPU, so it's usually 99% utilization in near most every AAA game released in the past year or so: The Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4 etc. If utilization drops even just down to 75% my temps don't get out of the mid 70's.

3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I'm trying to sort out the strange throttle behavior guys, really I am. I do not want to use Prema's vBIOS as a base because that would violate unspoken respect rules. I'm not at liberty to release his vBIOS, only he has the authority to do that.

Aroc and Ashtrix like this.
  4. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't understand the continued need for secrecy and propriety at this point in mobile Maxwell's life cycle. It is an obsolete architecture on older platforms with most of the users already running a modified vbios or are obviously happy with factory performance. Personally speaking, if I was Prema, and someone asked me for permission to basically copy my vbios for, lets say, GTX 580M (an exaggerated comparison, but somewhat valid nevertheless) I wouldn't care.

In fact I would just release them out into the wild with my signature on them. So what? This isn't GTX 1080 / 1070 were talking about here, this is an older architecture with a significantly shrinking user-base.

5. jerryzago

jerryzago Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any update here? I will also try a dual PSU when I have the with a wattage meter to see the actual power draw.

6. Aroc

Aroc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Raidriar, I am glad to read of your professionalism and your respect the intellectual property of others. This character is sometimes sorely lacking from some in the computer science and engineering disciplines. If we expect others to value our work and intellectual property we much first learn to respect the IP of others.

MahmoudDewy likes this.
  7. Tulius

Tulius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Raidriar right now I'm using Prema v.2 bios for my twins 980M on M18XR2 but I could use a bios with 1.0v to lower my overall temperatures I tried SVL7 VBios but it isn't working right when using newer Nvidia drivers, so what about your customised vBios is it working on the last Nvidia driver release?

8. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I haven't tested, I leave my drivers alone unless there is a fault or a required update. I never solved the random power throttle under max load no matter how I edited the power tables.

PS: How did you get a RGBLED display into your m18x?

9. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    PM me.

Tulius likes this.
  10. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah the problem is that this is an outgoing, antiquated platform with a niche user-base, to continue to respect propriety at this point is stupid. We need to stick together and support whoever is left with this platform, to heck with that BS.

imest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.