Refurb Thinkpad for audio editing?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by BrendanS, Jan 24, 2021.

1. BrendanS

BrendanS Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am helping a person who wants to get a podcast up and running during the pandemic.

They are going to want to do some audio editing, conversion, that sort of thing, using Audacity. They'll need web applications to get things to and from the internet.

I figure they don't need more than a refurb Thinkpad, many of which are available here in Canada.

I'm seeing a lot of the T440/T450 generation available, and some as late as the T470.

It seems to me that for this requirement, you could probably get away with a first-gen i5/i7 with 8 GB of RAM and an SSD. Although 16 GB RAM would be better.

How low do you think one can go? T410? Those are available. I see several Thinkpad models in the 14-inch range with at least 900P IPS screens and 8-16 GB RAM + 128/256 SSD, so I think that's what I should be going for.

Or is there some cheaper alternative?

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I personally really like the T440p but I dont use it for that type of production. Mostly teams, writing, emails and web browsing.

BrendanS likes this.
  3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You may want to consider the FAQ stuck at the top of this forum and post back. That will help us flesh things out.

An older ThinkPad will work. A newer one will of course be faster, but whether that's worth the extra cash is sort of up to the buyer. Typically on a ThinkPad, only the FHD LCDs will be IPS.

Dell and HP also make some good business class notebooks like ThinkPads and may merit consideration.