Red ghosting and fading on my NP5165'd matte 95% gamut screen.

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by LLStarks, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave1812

dave1812 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    then maybe they need to hire me to inspect their screens. I noticed the red tint on my Sager within the first 15 seconds of booting up Windows. The black areas are reddish and the white text is pink. How hard can it be to spot such a problem????????

2. ILLEGEAR

ILLEGEAR Company Representative

Reputations:
    Above statement is quoted from Sager e-mail reply.

In my case, my customers' ghosting are not very obvious. May I suggest you to contact your reseller.

3. Bryanu

Bryanu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is not defective though, this is simply the screen needing calibration.

Defective is what my current glossy and last glossy screen did. Leave red trails when moving the mouse around then fade away after a moment.

Some people have it worse and switching from bright to dark leaves blobs of red for a moment, mine is not as bad but still upsetting, esp as is now second one and this one has stuck pixel and some dirt between gloss and pixel (rare but happens from factory sometime).

I am waiting for resellers word back from sager but after 2 RMAs for other issues not looking forward to a 3rd. Paid my laptop in May and got end of july, and all of august it was not used as DOA and now here I go again.

I wish my issue was just the color you mention though, would get me a calibrator online and call it a day, hah

4. dave1812

dave1812 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine has ghosting, but I don't notice it during normal usage.

I have mine calibrated because I do photo work on it and the color is fine, except that the vertical viewing angle for accurate color is insanely narrow. Even with it calibrated, there's always a hint of red in the blacks. For photo work, my biggest concern is skintones (which the screen renders accurately) so I can make do, but I'm not 100% happy with the screen's negative qualities. Like I said, I'm too chicken to swap it out.

[EDITED 9/7 for clarity]

5. yhchoong

yhchoong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Argh so why are both Lenovo and Dell having no problems with their AUO screens? Lenovo's W520T/T520 has the matte while Dell's XPS15Z has the glossy. I wonder if AUO is sending Sager lower grade panels because they are small compared to the larger Lenovo and Dell corporations.

I'm using my laptop more for photo work than gaming and it's not that bothersome, but still..

6. Bryanu

Bryanu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sager is not small, and its not Sager getting them wrong, its Clevo... The laptops (most) ship to sager with screen on them. They get separate shipments without also but for most people you are getting one that Clevo put on and Sager finished up any other needed changes.

That being said, Clevo of course is even bigger than Sager and also is intl, maybe because they made in china and screens are they figure can get away with cheaper screens, haha

Here is my second glossy screen: NP8150 gloss screen ghost - YouTube

minor ghosting in center area, seen with slow mouse movement. Whats odd is most resellers and people claim glossy screens have 0 issues... Wish I made video of last glossy screen, was way way worse. And I originally got this one on first boot up because the Sager logo would show for a moment after it was gone which made me do the white mouse on black screen test lol

7. narcoticx2

narcoticx2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Will you be sending that one back? I don't think I could live with that.

8. yhchoong

Reputations:
    Bryanu yours already looks much better than mine. I have 2 vids of mine posted a few pages back if you want to take a look.

I wish someone from the Clevo resellers such as Mythologic, LPC-digital and LBO could chime in as I would like to know how widespread this issue is. There is a vid by Gentech PC posted on youtube to demonstrate the matte 95% screen and I can see no red ghosting at all in their sample. The screen was placed in a MSI laptop I believe.

Another problem with my 8150 is within 2 days I have already encountered to random shutdowns from playing L4D2. I initially thought it was a temperature issue as mine were a little higher since I stay near the equator where room temps are easily 29-30 degrees C but from HWinfo64, temps were only in the high 70s when the laptop shut down. I know there's a thread going on somewhere about this issue talking about mobo voltage instability and honestly I don't know what to do. I'm going to try to update my drivers first to see if it helps but that still leaves me with the screen issue, which according to my reseller Sager does not want to pay for international shipping even though its part of my reseller's warranty as stated on the website and they have deemed it an RMA case.

Its in situations like this when you really see how reliable a reseller is. Mine has been so far and I hope continues to be. Perhaps if the sudden shut down issue is solved, I could just send my screen back to Sager and have them reimburse me the cost while I purchase a replacement screen from one of the non-problematic screen resellers. What a crappy way out.

9. lanajami

lanajami Newbie

Reputations:
    First all, thanks for the help here with the .mov files showing the problem(s). I ordered a 8130 for my wife who does extensive photoshop work. The unit should be ready to ship anytime. But, what I see with the submitted videos on the problem, that will drive my wife to drink and I don't need that! :) If the 1st uint comes in with the problem, I am going to immediately send it back for a refund.

Or, should I cancel my order now before they ship? When you pay for what is advertised, you expect, hmmmm ......perfection to a point. If it was a defective drive or video card, I can live with that. But if Sager/Clevo expect me to live with multiple defective screens until they get it right, that's something I can't tolerate!

Any advice?

10. yhchoong

Reputations:
    lanajami, what I can advise you is to stick to the resellers who are claiming that there are no issues with their screens or who purchased them direct from AUO. This rules out all Sager resellers unfortunately, since the source of the problem is Sager. Get them to send you a video similar to what is done in the .mov files + screenshots of temperature benchmarks to show that there is nothing wrong with the laptop before it is shipped to you.

This should save both parties a great deal of headaches as the reseller has proof that the laptop is working as per normal before shipping while the customer is at ease to know that he will not be receiving a dud.

I really would stay off Sager for now with regards to the 95% CG screens. They are still fine if you purchase laptops with the non-upgraded screens but that's not your case. The chassis of the p150/151 series is outstanding if built right and according to expectations.