Red ghosting and fading on my NP5165'd matte 95% gamut screen.

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by LLStarks, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryanu

Bryanu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have, its not the reseller though, its sager.

They had trouble already getting sager to swap the laptop after the first one came defective and the replacement parts did not work. (GPU & wifi card.).

Just seems odd I am on my second one now and it yet again has ghosting down a 2" strip of the entire screen.... Are people checking the entire screen when they say they don't have the issue or just random parts?

My last screen did it in 3 areas, this one does it down one area. I wonder if people are just checking a spot saying nope, screen good not knowing its in specific areas sometimes.

2. Xerloq

Xerloq Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine does it all over.

3. dave1812

dave1812 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm too chicken to have my screen swapped out, as when I use it for normal purposes, I don't notice the ghosting. My biggest gripe is the super-narrow vertical angle of view for proper color rendition. An inch of movement makes a big difference in the colors. I do like the wide gamut colors though, which is it's saving grace, especially for doing photo work.

4. LLStarks

LLStarks Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I think there's reddish light leakage down the left side of my screen during pure black.

5. narcoticx2

narcoticx2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the reddishness on my defective panel, on black and grey (ie steam) backgrounds...

Still waiting on my reseller to contact me re RMA.

6. yhchoong

yhchoong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm it seems like this issue affects all 95% CG screens across the board from Sager. I do not know about LPC digital or Clevo barebones resellers. I just got my v4 screen a couple of days back from Sager and my reseller has already made a specific request to them to help pick out an exemplery screen. It's showing the red ghosting issue on the right half of the screen but not the left half.

Switching from any colour which contains red, such as orange to a pure black background leaves a red cloud which dissolves into the background. However, for colours such as pure green and pure blue which are 2 out of 3 primary RGB colours, switching from them to a pure black screen leaves no ghosting at all.

Calibration to bring down the reddish saturation prevalent in the screens does help a bit by desaturating the reds such that they are not so noticeable, but the ghosting is definitely still there.

I wonder how the Clevo barebones resellers manage to obtain such perfect screens with no ghosting issues. AUO provide these screens to Lenovo for their w520, Dell for their XPS15Z and Clevo. Unless the screens are cherry-picked for both Lenovo and Dell, we should be hearing of such issues from them too. It is indeed very queer.

Here are a couple of videos showcasing mine:

1. Screen Colour Cycle
    2. MS Paint Trail

7. ILLEGEAR

ILLEGEAR Company Representative

Reputations:
    Regarding to the ghosting issue, I have at least emailed Sager 3 times for not to ship out these screens to me since it needs to be RMA through global shipment.

And this is the same reply I've received.

"We don't ship out the defective screens intentionally."

However, I am still receiving these screens. Awaiting for their system builder reply.

8. yhchoong

yhchoong Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like the onus really lies with Sager then. There's nothing more we can do. But it's really great when there are cool resellers like you keeping a look out for their customers as well :)

9. Bryanu

Bryanu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sager has just gotten too big it seems and has let some quality slip. While in the end its Clevo's fault so same is said for them, Sager is the big main US Reseller and should have some weight to get on Clevo and be like "hey, stop sending us this trash as you make us look bad and will only cost us both money".

I mean shoot, I got two in a row like that on the screen and just give up because every exp with sager has gotten worse for me so out of fear I will just keep as is for now. I got the 3 year warranty so maybe in a year everything will be better quality again and I will try my luck, given nothing else goes wrong of course.

10. ILLEGEAR

ILLEGEAR Company Representative

Reputations:
    Sager don't ship out defective parts intentionally. The fact is some of the problems are very difficult to inspect and some of those don't pop up during the testing process.