Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by killkenny1, Oct 4, 2019.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    k I give up

but like 500 000 people say rdr2 has poor optimization yet when I say it here lol just nvm

2. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No I believe you they def need to get a patch or two in there, not sure about which directx is better too that usually helps if they allow older ones, I think vuclan is possible on this maybe better. I've seen on pcg that the graphics settings are pretty vague too so not sure you can even disable aa or ao which I would almost certainly do. Really it's probably just a case of having to overpower the game to get a certain fps, notebookcheck says your gpu is the same as the gt 1030, aren't they running the same gpu as you in the yt link? If so then it's got to be something other than the gpu in your system.

3. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The problem is PC gamers want games that push boundaries instead of just catering to consoles, but also get personally offended when their "rigs" can't play something at "Ultra". Then they claim "poor optimization" despite being laymen who wouldn't really have a clue about whether it is or isn't well-optimized.

killkenny1 likes this.
  4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That being said, this game does seem to be in need of an optimization pass or several, as currently performance scales quite poorly across settings (the lowest settings only run about 50% faster than the highest settings from what I’ve seen), and it takes a helluva lot more PC grunt to even match console equivalent perf/IQ.

killkenny1 likes this.
  5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    There are a lot of GFX settings, a total of 41 settings (with different types of AA to enable or disable) plus resolution/v-sync/etc., so you can't fault them there.

As for me, yup, 4690K stutters, a lot... At first I had textures at ultra and rest on high and advanced settings locked. In the very beginning, then on horseback, everything was nice until shootout. Then all hell broke loose... For like 10 seconds of gameplay I had 40 seconds of stutter... Went back into settings, enabled advanced options, put everything on high (minus scaling or something), still the same. Third time put game into DX12 mode (not sure how it is possible in Windows 7), everything on ultra (except few options like reflection MSAA, scaling, and something else), and now can play it. Can feel it's now GPU bound, but still get a 10 second or so stutter once 15-20 minutes of gameplay.
    Gonna tune back in my CPU overclock, see if it helps some. I had it disabled first time I had stutters, thought maybe game didn't like it.
    Hope R* will release an optimized patch or something. There also seem to be already talks online on how to set up affinity to get less stutters.

Otherwise this game got me hooked, So far feels like I'm playing Hateful Eight :D.
    Only completed intro and first mission though, can't wait to get to an open world, as so far it's a bit too restrictive. But love attention to details, how inventory system works (have to take your big guns from horse), and horse riding. Dialogues and VA is top notch as well. I bet it looks good too, but so far it's all white in snow :D

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah I have to agree the optimization isnt the best but it's far from the worst and it's not like they didn't give you options

7. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    From what I’ve seen, in this game DX12 runs better on Turing GPUs, but Vulkan runs better on AMD and older Nvidia GPUs.

Interesting that this is another game that is able to run in DX12 on Windows 7, which makes it a total of 4 now (I think?) after WoW, Gears 5, and CoD:MW. If the performance in DX12 on Windows 7 is good (on Turing that is) from what you’re saying, that’s also good. Windows 7 DX12 performance was pretty bad in CoD:MW and the game wouldn’t allow you to set it to exclusive fullscreen. I had to install Windows 10 in order to play that game in fullscreen and get the expected performance level.

8. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I recently tried to run GOW5 on Win7 and it was a total nogo for me, two different warnings about not detecting a dx12 gpu and then not even detecting a graphics card came up, followed by a crash. AFAIK a 980m on the latest nvidia drivers is a dx12 card lol In the GOW5 folder there was a win7 folder with a couple of dll's for running dx12 on win7. PCG has an article about RDR2 today:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/red-dead-redemption-2s-pc-port-still-has-big-problems/

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    GN said Vulcan is better, with more stutter though, and HU said DX12 is better. IIRC DF said that DX12 is better too, though maybe I remember it wrong.

If it 's worth to anyone, here's my bench of RDR2 on 4690K @4,2 GHZ and stock 2070 Super:
    RDR2.jpg

Setting used for the bench are quite ridiculous though...
    1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png
    I should maybe try to adjust them some, but as mentioned earlier, I tried to make my GPU the main bottleneck instead of CPU, hence a lot of setting tuned way up than they should be...

10. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    Sadly Gears 5 seems quite strict about enforcing its GPU requirement in Windows 7, and either won't run or runs at reduced performance on GPUs older than Pascal from what I've seen. This mirrors my experience with W7 vs. W10 in the CoD:MW beta. DX12 on Windows 7 seems to be more or less a partially backported compatibility mode, and best stability/performance/visual quality can only be achieved running the real DX12 on Windows 10.

DF said Vulkan is generally better and that DX12 had more stutter. This game is an inconsistent mess lol.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019