Recycling Computers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sequoia225, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sequoia225

Sequoia225 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thought Id point people to a link about this as I feel its important to conserve and recycle and take care of the land most of us like to enjoy.

(hence the name Sequoia and 225)

http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=2&aid=D818CL501_story

2. Sequoia225

Reputations:
    BTW
    If anyone cares, did anyone see the latest Discover magazine??
    Someone calculated how much prehistoric organic matter creates a certain amount of fossil fuel that we use today.

He said for the past 150 years or so, weve used fossil fuels that needed 15,000 years of ALL the organic matter on earth to create.

So in 150 years, it took 15,000 prehistoric years to feed our demands. And our use increases every day.

I thought that was something to think about......

oh....and NO Im not a hippie.......Far from it.

3. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    interesting numbers, good job there were a lot of organic beings that came before us in order to sacrifice themselves to fuel our world of today....hopefully 15,000 years from now the inhabitants of earth find something to do with all the leftover computers and crap we're piling up today...maybe nuclear fusion will have been worked out by that point and they can use flux capacitors fueled by our garbage [;)]

seriously though, thanks for thought invoking post.

4. Slat

Slat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting post. When are we expected to run out? Haven't "they" been saying that we are going to run out of fossil fuels a while ago?

5. Sequoia225

Reputations:
    I dont know but its not beyond our capacity and definately our attitude to get to the point of running out.
    Just today I was reading something about the Antelope Valley. Thats the area down here (south California) right below Edwards AFB where Palmdale and Lancaster are. I didnt know that area used to be filled with antelope!!! Over 7000 of them. (I know I could have guessed it perhaps by the name right?). Anyway. when we built a railroad through it in 1876, it cut off the antelope to their food source as they wouldnt cross the tracks. So they began starving to death right alongside the tracks. Then when more settlers came to work in mines. They put up fences and the grazing land became so small they all died out. Within 30 to 40 years time, we eliminated all the antelope in that area never to return just by our daily practices. There are so many examples in recent history where humans use up or kill off life and resources for our desires without thinking of conserving or replacing. Look at the poachers still after ivory from an animal that there is not much left of. No thought for what to do when they are gone. Or tiger skins??? Almost gone....
    Some study recently just came out in the news that gas wasting SUVs have not dropped even a bit in spite of high gas prices.
    I truly believe we are capable of using up the worlds fossil fuels BEFORE figuring out a way to replace them with something else.
    It will take a while but its not going to last forever. Theres only so much ancient life of this world that provided it.

6. Hill

Hill Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Many in the petroleum industry give figures of peak of global oil production. The optimists have quoted 2025-2030, pessimists have said around yr 2000-2010. That is peak not actually run out. It is very possible we could see a major decline in oil resources in all our lifetimes. I dont think its out of the spectrum of possibilty. We could of already peaked, no one is going to really tell the public till they have to. Ok sorry Im getting too liberal on this kind of message board.

Dell has a excellent recycling program. Though you have to pay them to pick up your items but it is affordable. I just very recently recycled my older Dell desktop. You go on their site purchase whatever you want to recycle ( monitor, tower, printer, etc.) Each box can have no more than 50 lbs. They send someone to pick them up in 3-5 days. THey mine the computers for what parts, metals , etc they can salavage and recycle the rest in a envrionmental savvy manor they say. It sure beats putting our old CRTs and towers in the landfills.

Hill