reconditioning cf-c1 batteries with new 18650 cells ? how doable is it ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by pierro78, May 1, 2020.

1. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ps :
    I really appreciate how easy it is to swap hard drives and batteries in my cf-c1s ...
    Windows 10 is not as "swapable" as linux though : it took a long time to make a list of drivers or sthing like that when I swapped hard drives ... and the screen resolution was not right also ...the linux I installed on my cf-c1 mk2 worked almost immediately on my cf-cf1 mk1 : I just had to reenter my wifi pin code ...

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've rebuilt batteries and I could never get them to work right. Physically replacing cells is a hackjob, since the original cells are stapled in place, and replacing cells ourselves we really aren't capable of that. Soldering cells in with 63/37 seems to work ok, other than wiring making the overall battery assembly slightly larger, making it difficult to fit the cells back into their casing, which had to be forcibly pried open.

The biggest issue which I could never resolve is correcting the battery flash image. I manually set the higher cell capacity, which sort of worked. The battery would charge to 100%, but it would discharge to the high 20s% like normal, then suddenly jump to 7%, but then the system would run fine at 0% for about an hour. I set the lower wear level, which worked initially. The battery controller refused to auto update the wear level over time though, so it keeps trying to overcharge the battery, making it wear much faster.

3. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey folks, I ve just received a second c1b (during confinement I ve spent a lot of time on ebay ;) ) ... I really love how easy it is to swap hard drives and batteries between my C1s :) ... they should design more computers like this one (event if they might be a little thicker) ... 3 (almost identical) slots in the back (for 1 HD & 2 batteries) is really smart !

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  4. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i find it so odd that every toughbook battery i got and some of them are from old models like cf-t5 and the batteries are like new. Probably have 100 batteries from from hp dell toshiba that last 2 years

toughasnails and pierro78 like this.
  5. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    happy to report that one of my CF-C1B has now 10GB :)
    (bought one Samsung 8 Go PC3L-12800S DDR3-1600MHZ 1.35 V 204pin SO-DIMM for about $30 from memory_ram on ebay ... took 2 weeks to arrive in France with free shipping ;) ... I ve just ordered another one for my second CF-C1B ;) )
    ... I am also waiting for some cheap goldenfir ssds I ordered from aliexpress ...

I guess I wasn't very lucky then :
    CF-C1A : 10% & 12% wear on the batteries (lucky on this one ! - it had sthg like only 1500 hours of use)
    CF-C1B : 98% & 13% wear (not lucky)
    CF-C1B : 60% & 30% wear (unlucky also)

PS :
    oh and I am still waiting for a $40ish battery that I ordered on the 7th of may from ebay ... I guess batteries take a slower road than RAM chips ...

6. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    cf-t5 cf-t8 cf-w5. all lasted many hours, cannot tell the percent of wear though
    cf-c2 seems to last for about 4 hours of playing emulators
    cf-h2 about 2 hours. it has 2 small odd batteries for this model.
    cf-19 mk5 or mk6 i forgot off hand. probably 2-3 hours
    old toshiba i bought from 1997 20 min, pretty impressive still
    batteries can be slow shipping since sometimes they no not ship by air depending where you live.
    I was thinking of getting a couple spare batteries but its almost the same cost as buying a whole surplus machine and taking a chance.

pierro78 likes this.
  7. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I read battery wear with BatteryBar (free version) ;)

wow my CF-C1B with 2 identical sodimms does 21+K at octane v2 whereas my 10GB CF-C1B does only 18-K ... I didn t know there would be such a big performance penalty with 2 different sodimms ...

8. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Normally you can mix ram but it generally runs at the speed of the slowest ram. I would not think it would make much real world difference. Try heaven benchmark. I know its mostly gpu but you can see if it actually effects fps

pierro78 likes this.
  9. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    received my 3 cheap goldenfir SSDs from aliexpress and cloned my old HDDs into them ... I barely needed a screwdriver as the CF-C1 hard-drive caddy is so well designed :)
    ... now my CF-C1s run quieter and feel faster :)

(only issue I had is that one of my SSDs was smaller (in capacity) than the old mechanical HDD and I wasn't able to clone the old HDD to it using clonezilla ... I just used Easeus Partition Manager cloning feature and it worked although I had 2 small issues (little error message when booting into Windows or lost screen resolution when booting into linux) that were easily fixed from linux)

received it a few days ago ... almost 11% wear although it was sold as "new" ... I guess it s OK ...

Oh and I received a very cheap CF-C1B this morning (cracked top cover, no hdd) and the wear on its batteries is only about 7 & 10 % ... I guess I was lucky on this one :)
    and its integrated memory chip is 4GB so I can have a solid performing 8GB CF-C1B :)
    (again : it was real nice to be able to so easily pop in my other hard drive in it ;) )

10. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Keep your eye out for a cf-c2. It is one of the better machines of that generation, haswell.
    I was lucky my battery seems to last 4 hours while playing emulators.
    I am looking for another one though ha. I have a touch screen but I want one with digitzer touch so i can use the magnetic pen for drawing.
    Do a crystal mark bench on those hard drives. some of the cheaper ones perform the same as a reg hard drive. Curious to what you get. I been using msata drives with adapters on most of toughbooks i got. I was able to get samsung msata used in canada for cheap.

toughasnails and pierro78 like this.