Recommendations on 14 inch gaming laptop. Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by biklas7, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biklas7

biklas7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I'm currently in the process of selling some parts of my old and loyal Clevo P150EM which served me for almost 5 years now and I'm considering buying one of these "amazing" 14 inch laptops that are appearing now.

First I was considering the new razer blade with the GTX 1060 but after reading some bad things about it and considering the high price of this machine, now I'm more into the MSI GS43VR which is cheaper but also plagued with bloatware. There is also the Gigabyte Aero and the Aorus and even the Alienware.

From my experience reading about these laptops all of them are amazing on paper but also have some problems like overheating, throttling and so on which make me really unsure of which one should I buy so I'm creating this post, hoping that some of you that bought or had some kind of interaction with the laptops mentioned could give me some insight about them and help me choose one.

Cheers,
    António

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    In my opinion if you can afford the OLED AW 13 or Aorus X3 they are easily the best.

They don't have the garbage QC of Razer, the GS43 has a questionable cooling design that heats some unintentional components, and the Aero is admittedly a good choice if you want really long battery life.

The Aorus shouldn't overheat, and the Alienware may at stock but should be tame-able through a repaste / undervolt.

biklas7 likes this.
  3. biklas7

biklas7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really like the Aorus, I think that the new version comes with the same battery as the Gigabyte Aero but the lack of a thunderbolt port and the high price is kind of a turn off to me.

Do you think that I would be ok without thunderbolt? I mean, I would like that the laptop I will choose to be the most futureproof as possible and having the option to connect to a eGPU in the future is good.

Also, here in Portugal is kinda of difficult to buy the Aorus or the Gigabyte as there is no resellers here (as far as I know), so to get one I would need to buy it in the UK or some reseller from EU.

4. Galm

Reputations:
    I personally am not a huge fan of egpu. I guess I just think it's stupid. By the time you buy an eGPU container and a graphics card you've spent so much it's practically worth just building a desktop. The 1060 is also much more powerful than older gpus so it should be good for at least a little while. Most laptops don't even have official support for it anyway, and you lose performance from the thunderbolt III bottlenecking it as well as the drivers to make the thing work.

I'm not sure of Aorus resellers in the EU, I'm sure they exist but I don't know too much about them.

5. biklas7

biklas7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm thinking about thunderbolt and eGPU for the future because as you've said as it is now, I also share the same opinion as you, it's simply not worth. I was just saying that is probably good to have that port as it could be useful in the future, maybe I'm wrong.

6. Galm

Reputations:
    I more was implying I don't see this drastically changing soon. There still won't be good unofficial support most likely.

7. biklas7

biklas7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What about the Alienware? I've heard that it has several issues with heat dissipation. It's really necessary to undervolt in order to use it comfortably?

8. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    Usually no, at stock you should expect about 80*C - if you want lower, undervolt it.

biklas7 likes this.
  9. Galm

Reputations:
    Dell should have fixed that by now for the most part. Reports of issues are decreasing pretty steadily finally after like 4 months.

biklas7 likes this.
  10. biklas7

biklas7 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really like the new Alienware 13, always wanted to have one in the past, but from the ones I've mentioned I think it's the most heavy and big of them all and that is kind of disappointing to me, but well, I guess that the wise choice here is going with the Alienware or the Aorus and avoid the rest. I guess that now I'm even more undecided :D thanks for all the recommendations tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.