Recommendation: XPS 15 (9550) or what??

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ReefPilot, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReefPilot

ReefPilot Newbie

Reputations:
    Considering buying the following laptop for $1700. Am I making the right choice? Will I save much if I wait for a lower price closer to August?

Dell XPS 15 - 9550
    4k touchscreen, i7-6700HQ, 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD

Here is what I like about that model:
    -4k display (Don't mind the hit on battery life)
    -Dimensions: One of the smallest dimensions as far as 15" laptops go
    -GTX960 - Enough to do some gaming, within limits.
    -NVMe SSD
    -Dell Support (Is damage protection worth it? Travel for work, needs to be well-built)

Here is what I don't like:
    -Glossy display
    -Scaling issues (Have heard Photoshop has issues. Will this be fixed with an update?)
    -Seem to be a lot of people having issues (Drivers, etc). Is this more than usual for a laptop?
    -Pascal mobile GPU is right around the corner. Worth waiting?
    -Price (Much cheaper than $1700 if I wait until back to school sales?)

Is the Dell the right choice for me? I like the options building something like a Clevo, but curious what I would miss by going this route. It is a little bigger, unfortunately.

Thanks in advance for the help!

1) What is your budget? $1800 (lower the better)

2) What size notebook would you prefer? Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? No preference (Not a Mac guy however).

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Prefer not. Was burned by an Asus refurb.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Little bit of everything. Photography (Photoshop and Lightroom) Ocassional gaming and CAD.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places? Yes, all the time. Travel for a living, but don't care about battery life

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? Yes, just getting into gaming. But not primary purpose.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Not imortant. Will be able to plug in 99% of the time.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Either is fine

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows 7 or 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? The higher the better. 4k if scaling issues aren't too bad (Adobe Photoshop?)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? Matte preferred, but willing to accept glossy if need be.

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Only slightly important

15) When are you buying this laptop? Between May and August 2016

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 4-5 years

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? SSD is required. 256gb min, 512 ideally

18) Do you need an optical drive? No

2. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'd get a good Latitude or Precision from Dell if it were me, especially due to the 4-5 year durability wishes. And get that with a nicer screen, and matte is easily had.

3. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    A Clevo would get you a better graphics card, and could still have a 4k screen. The Dell would have a bit better build quality, and infinity edge display, but also has thermal issues if you really like gaming. Another option is the Asus UX501.

4. Robert249

Robert249 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree here. The 4K is really not that big of a deal when you have a lower end graphics card. I bought a 4K laptop with an 860M graphics card and I always run it in 1080p just because of scaling problems etc. (you really cant run games in 4K). Most everything is written for 1080p anyways so it is just a waste, in my opinion, to have the higher resolution.

5. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I wouldn't call it a waste. Most daily applications like Windows 10 and chrome work great at 4k (using it now). I do think its not really gonna work for trying to game at a resolution like that without an sli setup or a 1080.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.