Recommendation for video editing laptop?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Lambda808, May 20, 2020.

1. Lambda808

Lambda808 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all. I'm a professional video editor and in the market for a new laptop. I know what you're thinking. What kind of idiot edits on a laptop professionally? Well my issue is that I travel almost all year round for work so idI really have a choice I have to be mobile. I've been using Alienware for the last few years. Which I honestly don't like, but they always seemed to offer the most power for the money when it came time to buy. I'm rocking an Alienware 17 right now but it's getting outdated. I was going to just get one of their newer laptops but it seems there's much more options on the market now so thought I'd see what you guys suggest. I'm open to trying something new if it's going to be better.

My budget is around $2000. Looking for 17" screen preferably. Purchase in USA. I've never bought used or refurbished laptops, open to it if it's recommended? My main priority is being able to edit 4K footage smoothly without any hiccups. I work mostly in Adobe premiere pro and Davinci resolve. I also love gaming, and would like to play some high end stuff. Currently I'm mostly playing overwatch, counter strike. But would like to be able to dive back into some more graphics intensive games, especially newer stuff that comes out since I haven't been able to in a long time my laptop can't handle it. When I'm home I have a laptop stand that hooks up to a monitor. But like I said, I travel most of the year which is the hardest thing with my Alienware 17. It's so damn big and heavy. I understand I'm stuck with the portable desktop type of laptops but it would be AMAZING if there's something out there that's slim and can meet all my needs. Battery life don't matter much. I'm used to being plugged in all the time for editing. Windows (obviously). 1920x1080 screen unless something comes with 4k I obviously won't complain. I don't care how stylish the notebook looks. Hard drive space isn't too important. Whatever is standard these days? I don't need an excessive amount. I mostly work off external drives. Like most people I assume, I plan to make this laptop last as long as possible. A few years I hope. The reason people always swayed me into Alienware was the ability to upgrade components. But I didn't end up upgrading anything with my last Alienware.

Maybe Alienware is still my best bet, people were recommending the Alienware m17 (older model opposed to those new ones) but I would love to hear your guys opinions if there's anything else you suggest I look into. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you can save up a little more money the new xps17 is the best bet. I am seriously thinking on jumping on one, even though I love my 2 in1 form factor. But the bigger screen for photo, video and writing is a huge plus. Also having a footprint smaller than the macbook pro 15 it's a boon for travelling too. I am seriously thinking on getting the xps 17 and a go 2 LTE to take with me for travel.

JRE84 likes this.
  3. Lambda808

Reputations:
    What would be the benefit of the xps 17 over other options?
    Also do you know the price and release date? Can't seem to find it.

What would be the benefit of the xps 17 over other options?
    Also do you know the price and release date? Can't seem to find it.

4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree with kojack the xps 17 is a good match....reasons

build quality
    screen is high gamut high accuracy
    fast
    battery life
    relatively cool
    graphics card is alot better than most in that form factor
    and finally form factor its the size of a traditional 15.6 in laptop

kojack likes this.
  5. Lambda808

Reputations:
    I dig the specs. What are the negatives or downsides if you can think of any for the xps 17? Especially in comparison with something like an alienware m17 r1

6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The devil's in the details and given that no customers have seen or used one, it's a bit of an unknown at the moment. Ever bought anything thinking going in it was a great fit, but it turned out no to be? In my experience when I spend a good chunk of change on any product there's things I find that I do and do not like about it. Perfection is as always elusive.

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Since the m17 is a big chunk of gaming laptop, your gaming performance will not be as good on xps. However, you are not hauling around a big chunk of gaming laptop.

8. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What about those whom had been doing their editing in mobile,
    anywhere, everywhere in these few years? Dude... you're not alone.
    Looking for big? Light? Powerful enough?
    Wait and Look for this when it get listed in U.S. site.
    https://www.lenovo.com/ch/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-3-17ARE05/p/81W5CTO1WWDECH1/customize
    Mean while just to share with u how capable of this APU on editing...

Or... if u can bear with that slightly smaller screen, available now with Ryzen 5 4600H
    https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...-Legion-5-15ARH05/p/82B5CTO1WWENUS0/customize
    the evaluation of 4600H

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    throttling on alienware systems is bad.

watched a video on the m51 vs evoc vs msi titan and the clevo and msi had nearly double the performance..

Papusan likes this.
  10. Lambda808

Reputations:
    I've heard of throttling issues but I thought it was just from their new rollout of the m51 m15 R2 and m17 R2? People were telling me the R1's work much better. But I'm not sure.

D'you have any top suggestions? I'll check out the msi titan