Recommend me an Alienware laptop

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Rannochuk, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you do not need something portable and a desktop will serve your needs, that would definitely be the smartest move you could make. It will destroy your defective Alienware in terms of performance and your money will go a whole lot further. The only laptops that are worth a damn are quite expensive and don't use soldered garbage for CPU and/or GPU. Quality control seems to be a growing concern with all brands now. Almost everything is either crippled, a thermal abortion, or both. To end up with something truly special in a laptop requires modding of firmware and user intervention with hardware at some level. It's a shame and a crime, but that's the sad world we live in now. Too many smartphone jockeys and console converts clamoring over something cute but adequate to play games with, and too many ODMs with no pride in their product. It seems that none of them actually give a rat's butt if the products they sell are reliable or work right. The primary focus seems to be concentrated on aesthetics and marketing propaganda far more than results. All brands deserve to be painted with the same brush in this regard and only fanboys will disagree. Some are clearly worse than others, and some choose to use fundamentally inferior components, but all are guilty of similar incompetencies where QC and engineering failures are concerned.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    TBoneSan, Ashtrix and Aroc like this.
  2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I see laptops as all compromised machines. You simply cant have it all. Want everything socketed, then it becomes large, want everythign running cool, it becomes large, want it portable? It starts to run hot. So it really depends your wishes and what comes the most close.

I do like the latest AW's a lot but that problem with uneven core temperatures sucks though. Every machine should be checked more carefully when it leaves the factory and tolerances should be much tighter.

I hate it that with products these days there is always a slight flaw somewhere. I rather would pay 100 bucks extra for better quality control than to have the feeling i should fix everything myself. Which I am capable off. But it hurts the warranty.

3. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try your AW 13 OLED screen in a pitch dark room preferably at night with the lights off and load up some game with black loading screens and see the splatters in it is called Mura Effect in all OLED screen.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Doesn't exists my AW OLED. Played Limbo, and seen quite a few pure black screen in pitch dark room with no "mura effect" pretty sure that is only a problem on 40s -50s" TV's

You seem to have some sort of vendetta vs OLED?

Wormwood likes this.
  5. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    Not 40-50s only, so you're wrong about that...many latest devices with OLED suffering from mura effect and later years - burn in.

I like OLED but it's degradation that I don't like, as a matter of fact I own a PS Vita with an OLED screen.

6. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You do know that OLED technology has improved since the Vita came out, right?

7. Wormwood

Reputations:
    Nor mine, at least not that I can tell.
    But I'm sure he'll find some new thing to bring up since this one isn't an issue.

8. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    Try to quote me next time so you don't look like you're sneaking up your comments.

OLED didn't improved since it came out. I'm just warning other people about the issue with OLED so if you're not experiencing any issue atm then good, it's your funeral in the end. Again, you're wrong about me bringing new issues about AW --- lol it's got plenty of issues atm that the company supposed to fix long time ago.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  9. Wormwood

Reputations:
    Except that's not true. OLED screens produced now are much less likely to suffer permanent burn in than older units.

No. You're playing the part of a fear monger and posting extremely broad claims without a shred of proof and then ignoring evidence that disproves those claims.

Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell. What is true is that every one of your complaints about the OLED, or at least every one I can remember off the top of my head, have either been disproven or seem highly dubious to say the least.

batrush likes this.
  10. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    Okay. Enjoy your 13 then.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017