Recommend me an Alienware laptop

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Rannochuk, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Rannochuk

Rannochuk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi

So it's time to retire my M11X R3. It's been a great machine and served me well. I feel it's time to upgrade to a newer model.

I quite fancy getting a VR headset, so need a GPU that can handle it. Is the 1070 is a lot faster than the 1060? I would like to get the lastest GPU but cant stretch to the 1080 as I don't game that much. I wonder if the 1060 will be too slow for VR in the future.

My M11X was silent when I was playing movies and I hope the new models are the same?

I would like a good screen, is a 4K screen required nowadays? I watch a lot of MKV movies but they are all 1080p.

As for size i fancy the 13" but they don't do that model with a 1070. The 17" is too large so that really leaves the 15.6.

Any advice please? Thanks for reading.

2. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Before you dive into the cold water, just be aware of the issues surrounding the current AW laptops:

- Thermal issues due to uneven heat sinks
    - Screen banding/watermark

Although there are some tutorials in fixing the thermal issue by repasting, readjustment of thermal pads and probably bending the CPU arm, but I think paying for such an expensive laptop and doing those maintenance right out of the box is just unacceptable. As for screen banding/watermark that plagues most AW screen panels, especially the QHD panels, there are no fix for that. Don't despair though, AW is looking into all these issues and probably going to announce some good news (hopefully) by the end of February or mid March.

Rannochuk likes this.
  3. Rannochuk

Rannochuk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will certainly hold off for now. With the price of those machines I certainly don't want to do any fixes myself and wouldn't attempt it. Many thanks.

Midas Touch likes this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would still consider it. AW 13 is the only OLED gaming machine in the world. And by Gorge its worth it!

Most work fine out of the box, but if you are worried about thermal issues, a re-seller like HIDevolution will do all the thermal fixes for you if you are uncomfortable with doing it yourself.

5. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can also send you laptop to @iunlock or another member of LHz for re-pasting if you didn't want to use a re-seller or wanted to save and get an outlet unit (I've sent mine out and should have it back soon and I'll post a full review then). The OLED screen is definitely worth it though.

SimplyJ3sse likes this.
  6. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Oled is the best screen I have seen on a laptop. It will be hard to go with anything else for me at this point in the future unless there is something even better then Oled.

7. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    OLED = screen burn/mura effect

Even worst than screen banding/watermark.

@Rannochuk I'd wait for now if I were you.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    Can't beat the color saturation and quality though.

9. Midas Touch

Reputations:
    I've seen those OLED screens in AW 13 and in PS Vita 1000, gorgeous as they looks but they will end up ugly. I'd rather choose an IPS screen w/GSYNC than OLED.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  10. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've yet to see an example of burn-in with the 13 R2 or R3 although I'd be very interested in seeing cases if you have examples.

SimplyJ3sse likes this.