Recommend me a headphone?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can anyone recommend me a pair of Bluetooth/wireless headphones? My budget is ~$100. They will be used for mostly watching movies, and listening to jazz and hip hop. Noise cancellation is preferred.

Headphones with a really really long/stretchable chord also works.

I do not mind buying used or refurbished.

2. djboz

djboz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. Merk1b2

Merk1b2 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The headphones from Bose are absolutely amazing. The cable length is pretty decent and can always be removed for a longer/different cord.

I would also look into sets from Sennheiser.

4. GtsXracer

GtsXracer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    are you a basshead? Do like to listen to music/movies/etc knowing that the bass is there with a good bump? Or more of a neutral sounding, less bass with a quick punch?

Best thing to do is to go to various stores and test out what ever they have on display.

I use Audio Technica M50 and I can tell you right now they're amazing. However, I can't go into too much detail on which one is better as I have not used many other headphones for a long period of time; other than just testing them out.

From testing out others though, I can tell you this, Sennheiser 400 series has more of a neutral sound with lacking bass and good sound stage.

Shure 440/840 pretty similar to Sennheiser sound quality, but had a tad bit more response in bass. Still note my taste. It was more prevalent that the bass was there though.

Both Sennheiser and Shure definitely gave some really good sound stage and Very clean high/mids.

For a basshead, DJ100 pros and XB500/700/1000 if you want some serious bass. I'll put SR80's in there too, the bass is pretty good on the Grado's.

What kind of cans do you want? Closed back will give sound isolation or open back which will cause sound leakage. The difference? - it's more of a personal preference really. Closed vs open do have different sound characteristics though.

BTW these are all cabled, some come in straight cable or coiled. They are all long cables.

5. Ulags

Ulags Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I dont mean to interrupt but the jvc ha-rx700 is one of the best headphones i have heard so far.. Its only 30$ on amazon. It has a very very lengthy and durable cord.. :) its worth taking a look at it

6. AmazingGracePlayer

Reputations:
    I like closed cans. More bass is good, but more control is better. I love bass and I love trebles, but I don't like mids, and I don't like mid/bass overlaps.

7. GtsXracer

Reputations:
    DJ100pro

XB700's

If you can save up another $50 though, that opens a whole different range of better cans for you :)

or even $30 more, for M50's what I got from a dealer on ebay (registered authorized Audio Technica dealer)

But $50 more will put you in the range for akg 271, SRH840 and some ultrasones

8. AmazingGracePlayer

Reputations:
    Is there such a thing as 5.1 headphones? If so are any of those good?

9. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There are 5.1 surround sound headphones but they're more of a marketing gimmick than anything. First of all the .1 refers to a subwoofer, which isn't really accurately used for headphones. There are some good surround sound headphones from a few companies such as Ultrasone, but they're on the order of $500+. The cheaper ones sound worse than the regular 2.0 ones IMO. You can get really good headphones for under $100 (though I prefer the open Grado/Alessandro), so I'd stick with "regular" headphones.

10. GtsXracer

Reputations:
    I always wondered the same thing. I was under the impression that these 5.1 on headphones, majority of them are just 2 speakers but is an emulated 5.1 - like surround sound. I have yet to see a pair of headphones that actually have 5 speakers, 2 on each side with a designated subwoofer-like-speaker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.