Recommend lightweight, 13/14" for browsing, light video editing

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by efra1223, Aug 28, 2021.

1. efra1223

efra1223 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey folks! I'm a travel nomad, weight and performance are a bit of a thing. My partner has a MacBook Air M1 and Im looking into replacing my old Dell Inspiron. I do a bit of light editing on travel videos every now and then, nothing too crazy since I'm a total noob and we watch movies whenever we don't have a tv to plug into. A small screen is fine but a good small screen is even better! Touchscreen is a must!

I've narrowed things down between these 3 models and below is the form recommended by the forum:

HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop - 13t-aw200 touch
    Seems like the OLED screen would be a nice to have but just bummed I can't get 32gb ram instead of 16.
    Ram is soldered so I can't upgrade.
    ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9 (14", Intel) Laptop
    The one 32gb ram configuration doesn't give me the option of getting a touchscreen display but I guess Im willing to sacrifice that for the right laptop and just have 16gb ram with touchscreen.
    Ram is soldered so I can't upgrade.

Dell XPS 13 or Inspiron, current year model.
    Both seem like good options. The new XPS 13 with 32gb and 11th gen intel looks like another good choice.

Anything that I can upgrade on my own be it RAM or SSD to save some money, would also work. Im not really sure I need 32gb ram but who knows if I will, 3 years from now. Im expecting this purchase to last at least 3/4 years.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $2400 ish, it'd be great to go lower but Id rather future proof this purchase as much as I can.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA, I'm currently in New Zealand but well forward ship it to NZ from the states.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Not really, whatever doesn't suck.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes, so long as it's refurbished by the manufacturer so that AMEX can extend a year of coverage.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Watching movies in an RV, video editing.
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    taking it everywhere. Lightweight is key, but not too light that it feels flimsy.
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No, I don't play games that much anymore unfortunately cause you know, married life, lol!
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Decent battery life! Sometimes we spend a day or two without 110/220 power so something that lasts would be great!
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    buying online is ok.
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows
    Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Higher than 1080. Maybe an OLED?
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Not sure, but non-glossy seems like it would suit us better when we have the sun shinning on us.
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    no
    Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    at least half or 1TB
    Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    This week
    17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    years
    18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I have spare
    19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I can't use onsite warranty cause I travel internationally.

Thank you for all your tips!

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    XPS for sure. If you wanted to save a bunch of money and still have a great system, the 5402 dell or equivalent would be awesome too. An i7 version of that would be a great a great overall system that is FULLY upgradable, unlike most of the high end options now which are all on board ram, storage etc where you cannot upgrade when needed.

3. efra1223

efra1223 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanx for the tip! might look into the 5402 as well. Why would you pick the XPS over the other models like the lenovo yoga 6?

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Personal preference really. I have had many notebooks and desktops from many different companies. Dell has been the most reliable, and best performing for me. Even my custom built machines with the "best" parts still had more failure rates than my dell machines. That's why I use them exclusively now.

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Not sure about the other two, but a ThinkPad will likely have international warranty service, meaning you'll be able to get it fixed in New Zealand or wherever Lenovo offers service.

In my opinion spending money to upgrade to the top CPUs is almost never worth the money unless you have a specific need to run the CPU at or near capacity frequently. For mundane stuff like office, internet and media, the better CPU won't make a lick of difference. Video editing can use all the processing power, so if you're converting 4k videos, it may be worth it the cash. If you're just doing short YouTube clips, probably not. If you're really after CPU performance, you might want to look at something like the ThinkPad x13 with AMD Ryzen CPUs that'll offer you significantly more oomph versus Intel. You can also get a matte touch screen on the X13 if that floats your boat.

You finally posted after 11 years?

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  6. efra1223

efra1223 Newbie

Reputations:
    Caught me :p I joined the forum ages ago to get insight on an Alienware when they used to be popular and weren't part of Dell.

Im back again, this time trying to buy a good work/travel laptop. No more gaming unfortunately :'(

Seems like I'm leaning towards Lenovo per the reviews I've read :)

7. ZaZ

Reputations:
    I'm just surprised you remembered your password.

8. efra1223

efra1223 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well... It's been a week and I still cant make up my mind!
    I wish I could try these models in person but unfortunately, I can't!
    Im now stuck between these choices:

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6
    Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon
    HP Spectre 14 X360

help!!!

9. ZaZ

Reputations:
    It's been my experience in life that any time I've spent that kind of money on a product there's things you'll like about it and some you don't, so to some degree you just got to pick the one you like the and make the best of it.

rahasyavadi likes this.