Reciever's Ongoing build/mod log AW17 Ranger

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by TheReciever, Jan 31, 2019.

1. VoodooBane

VoodooBane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The thing i like about gskill is Their life time warranty. Say if you bought used on over ebay especially 2nd hand. No need for a receipt or proof of purchase gskill with send u replacement modules. I did not see the price on those hyperX so low. I know the are the best but buying that a such a low price then flashing then with the program and adding the profiles and such. I kinda of want the hyper x now. lol

There are 4 so-dimm slots in the ranger

here is the link for the gskill for ebay and also mybad... I go the 1866 mhz. here is the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-SKILL-Ri...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That was mybad guys... sorry about that.

2. Jnobles

Jnobles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting, I was under the impression there were only 2. I'll have to crack it open when I get to work next week and look. I don't really plan on doing anything extra with the RAM, I'm not really trying to game with it or anything, just up the speed for running AutoCAD drawings and ArcGIS which can be RAM intensive. That and a new Evo SSD I think should have it running like new. Maybe a 970m down the road.

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    8gb kits will work fine. I bought 4 and they run the rated speed no issue what so ever on a 4700mq.

They charge more for the 4x8gb kit and I'm a cheapskate. 4 kits of 1x8gb is much cheaper and effectively the same thing.

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Don't bother with a 970m. 1060 is 100 more usually and double the performance iirc

5. Jnobles

Reputations:
    I was more concerned with the screen replacement for the 1060 than anything else. I know I'd need an upgraded heatsink for the 970m, but I thought I could run it with the stock screen. Swapping out the screen seems a little about my pay grade at the moment.

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    swapping the screen is 50 bucks most of the time. They are quite cheap lately.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-for-N1...187479?hash=item41ee6fef97:g:k6gAAOSw10VcR0xQ

70 USD.

The 970m still sells for like 200 last time I checked. Its a terrible purchase at that price. If your interested in pushing further, PM me with a timeline and ill be happy to work out a deal for a fellow Ranger user, as I am keen on upgrading to the 1070.

You wouldnt need to upgrade the heatsink, but dremeling the heatsink a bit to have it work with 1060 and above. This card was sold to me by @ssj92 and was well cared for and functions quite well. Sadly, now I want more performance lol. Anyways the 1060 runs at 88w max TDP, if you have a lower end card right now it will still run fine, just might be a little warm with the 75w heatsink.

Technically you dont NEED the upgraded panel either, you can run Pascal with the stock 60hz panel, with the unlocked BIOS you can set the video out to SG mode and the intel hd will drive the screen. You will have a little bit of input lag in gaming iirc but can function until you decide to upgrade the panel at some point.

Also I still have the stock 120hz panel as well and full assembly to make it a direct bolt on replacement, there IS a small dent in that shell though.

But like I said I can make a pretty good deal on this stuff and am in no rush

ssj92 likes this.
  7. Jnobles

Reputations:
    Honestly, upgrading to a 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD for OS and my programs, and a 1060 will have me passing the R4 I have too. SO I may have to take you up on that offer if I can get my bank account back up to a reasonable amount. I usually only keep it on a cooling pad so Temps never get too high. Does the screen require a new chord to connect? Thats the part I'm most worried about being above my capabilities.

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Oh right there is the cable as well. I believe I have an extra at the moment. Would have to confirm in a bit, working two jobs so my time is limited and still have to make preparations for the week while I have a little down time.

I'm not in any rush but I would ask that when you are about to gear up let me know so I can buy the 1070 in advance. I work a lot and don't want my precious little free time to be gone waiting on the gpu in the mail lol

I had to use a copper shim to make full contact also, you might want to consider a smaller one than mine. I have a 0.5mm shim but if you can get thinner it may be a good precaution. The last owner didn't need it in the m18x r2 but it's worth noting I have the aftermarket heatsink before it was altered for use with pascal GPU's.

If it doesn't work out its no pressure I can throw it up on the marketplace here or ebay etc etc.
    Until then we can work out the details via pm.

9. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you can find me a 1060 for $250, let me know :)

10. kaibsora

kaibsora Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wish you luck with that. My 1060 was 500 not even a month ago and they arent going down in price

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk