Reciever's Ongoing build/mod log AW17 Ranger

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by TheReciever, Jan 31, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yep, it's going to be a pain when I order the interposer cable which means I'll have to trim the cables further.

I may actually just trim the supplement power cables instead in preparation. It's very rare but sometimes one of the drives falls off the hub. The supplement cables will resolve this permanently.

I may just solder straight to the USB port for power instead, seems it might be simpler.

2. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Im purchasing the G32 panel now, so if you want my panel let me know via PM if you end up returning yours. It is used, very light scratches that can only be seen in direct reflection of light while the screen is off.

Also updating OP

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    kaibsora likes this.
  3. kaibsora

kaibsora Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome!

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    UPDATE:

Received the barrel switches I ordered. When everything else arrives and tearing down the laptop I will start test fitting best locations for the 2 switches (1 for GPU and 1 for CPU).

Ordered the N173HHE-G32 C.1 Revision panel for 50 USD and also bought an MSI 1060n from a member here who thus far has been stellar in keeping his word with logistics. Both should be here around Friday or so.

Also another member was kind enough to donate his 860m/GPU heatsink and eDP cable. This should enable me to run PEG until the other parts arrive.

Lastly, I am determining a method to maximize the internal hubs use, I will post there when it is done.

ssj92 likes this.
  5. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I wish I would have been lucky enough to get essentially a free 860M, perhaps we could work things out if you no longer need it when the 1060 comes?

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I'd need it as a backup for getting back into the sbios. Also, it would be in poor taste to sell something donated.

NB_Neenja likes this.
  7. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Fair

As for piggying for more power, could you try something with the internal USB hub/ethernet port?

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I plan to use the two right usb ports for supplement power. Just been waiting for all the parts to come together so I only have to take it apart once in a while instead of every week or so lol

9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    If you are using a eDP 120hz display, the 1060 shouldn't need anything but PEG to fully work. No need to do anything to go to BIOS.

Even if you are using the LVDS display, I believe it defaults to Optimus so it shouldn't have any issue.

10. TheReciever

Reputations:
    All I know is that we've got members who can't boot into bios with pascal and I'll need to be able to do that later for when I oc the 4930mx