Reciever's Ongoing build/mod log AW17 Ranger

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by TheReciever, Jan 31, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah had seen those after I got my 1tb, not sure I'll be getting one or not lol

I still treat my 1tb almost like it's 256gb. Not much goes on it.

kaibsora likes this.
  2. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Ordered another 4 pipe cpu heatsink, also ordered some thermal adhesive and lots of copper heatsinks for the GPU side.

The quest for 135w+ begins, and hoping to hit at least 4.0Ghz on the CPU just to see an improvement.

kaibsora likes this.
  3. kaibsora

kaibsora Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What CPU was it again? I have the 4930mx at 4.2 on all cores

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    It's the 4930mx chip, thing is conductanaut seems to be out of stock everywhere and I'm running into some other personal problems so I'd like to get this to a good stopping point for a while,get it ready for air travel.

NB_Neenja likes this.
  5. TheReciever

Reputations:
    So cicichen has a new 4 pipe heatsink for the Rangers it seems, something about vacuum copper or something? I just got it in the mail, looks to be in good condition. Ill have to trim it a bit to allow clearance of the GTX 1070 and test for temps with NT-H1 as conductunaut (sp?) is out of stock, damn OEMs suckin up the stock maybe lol

Anyways, with this new heatsink I will also begin modding the other heatsink I plan to add to it to hopefully keep the temps below 90c for when I push the clocks up to 4.5Ghz. Ill be adding some copper heatsinks which hopefully will jive with the additional heatsink. A trimmed down NH-L9i. The idea is to attach atop the "standard" heatsink, then also have vRAM coolers thermal glued to the fins to aid in heat transfer.

All while under the watchful eye of 3x Gentle Typhoon 2150rpm fans.

Then also hopefully I can fix my GPU heatsink so I may overhaul the VRM area, cicichen doesnt seem to understand the problem and isnt really interested so I have gone another route.

triturbo, Papusan and electrosoft like this.
  6. nazbadat

nazbadat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Receiver, I notice in your footer that you've implemented a Killer AX1650 wireless card which is PCIe, but the current port for the WiFi card is half mini PCIe or something like that, how did you manage to make that work?

7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    You can source mpcie to m.2 pcie adapters off of ebay, may take a bit to arrive but should work fine. Make suer to also get adapter antenna if you plan to re-use your same antenna (different connector size)

I took it back out for what reason I can no longer recall but ill reinstall it tonight after work. Its not flush fitting or anything but still works as desired.

8. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Installed the new heatsink yesterday after work.

I no longer shut down when allowing the 1070 to fully stress itself. I added about a dozen passive memory copper heatsinks which are made active because of the cooling pad.

I was getting about 46-48c with Overwatch maxed @ 90FPS with my old hacked up heatsink. With the new heatsink I get about 49-50c @ 120FPS and no VRM overheating anymore.

The GPU is limiting to 115w TDP though, I need to find the vbios and flash it to the 150w. @kaibsora do you know how to flash TDP on GPU's? I think I have the right programmer but Im still ignorant to the rest of it.

CPU heatsink mod is more of an endurance race, sanding the contact plate takes for freakin ever. In the end it should be about 8 heatpipes on the CPU heatsinks and two different heat exchangers. Sounds fancy but its really not.

kaibsora likes this.
  9. kaibsora

kaibsora Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I do. You just need to dump the bios and use the Pascal tdp tweaker to set the target and max tdp. Then you flash it back and done.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

10. NB_Neenja

NB_Neenja Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good thread, enjoying updates on your progress.

Can we get some pics?