Reciever's Ongoing build/mod log AW17 Ranger

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by TheReciever, Jan 31, 2019.

1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah it does well enough but can be much better with 120mm fans that can generate some real CFM and are still controllable with a fan controller (which I have).

The HDMI cable I was using was finnicky iirc and was removed from service. I have a DP cable but its the regular iteration, I will go out and buy a mDP to DP adapter to resolve that little issue. I checked just in case and Windows was setting to 1920x1080 like it should, its just not displaying anything. Whats odd is that it works just fine on the 13 R3 though, so maybe the monitor only works @ HDMI 2.0? I dont know but I will find out tomorrow. EDIT: It just started blanking out on the 13 R3 as well, likely just a bad cable.

Its technically the best 1070 in the market, but without active cooling on the VRMs then it can just be a problematic card lol I plan to push it to 130w TDP or however much I can get without power throttling from the MXM slot.

The USB Hub I got also is pretty nice, no issues powering some HDD's, so after retrofitting the fans to the cooling pad, I will attach the HDD's underneath and connect to the Hub for additional storage.

I need to make the mockup heatsink for cicichen to look at, hes not wanting to try and waste materials again from the last time he attempted a 4 pipe single row heatsink. I need it flat as possible so I can attach more mass to the die area, if im I am lucky maybe get a heatpipe or two from the vrms to it so I can avoid the VR power limit reason.

uugui shi likes this.
  2. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Got the CoolerMasterU3 outfitted with 3x 2150rpm and its original USB fans for the lolz until the weekend. I plan to raise the front just a little bit so I can mount the USB hub, fan controller and a couple of HDD's under neath the pad.

Not much of an update, but I gotta say, 3x120mm fans is leeeaaaaggguuuueees better than the stock usb fans lol

EDIT: Max temp went from 62c to 57c, 56c being the normal average. This is with a seriously hacked up GPU heatsink that wasnt built with the 1070 in mind.

With a proper heatsink I think I can get those temps lower, if I can get it closer to sub 50c then modding the TDP will be an easy ask of the card, 2Ghz core anyone?

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Brenden Weaver and hmscott like this.
  3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Ok so some thoughts.

GPU heatsink needs to be replaced at some point. The 1070 runs really well, if not too well. I have maybe 10 copper mosfet heatsinks attached to the VRM area and laptop will shut down if I dont have the cooling pad on. So while it works fine for my uses, I do want to remedy that. Its a DTR, so it doesnt go anywhere, but it irks me.

Another note. ODD to HDD cable works fine with the 1070 installed and has no issues but I did have issue with my Internal USB hub, I have disconnected it for now but I just wanted to chill with the machine. Im thinking it may just be the sBIOS, as I have tested the power cable, hub but no way to test the mpcie to USB 3.0 A port, it could be dead after all the testing who knows. Thats a 10 dollar fix if it is, not worried.

Also I may have found an answer to my quest of finding a more powerful fan for the CPU, the real question is, can I control the RPM with a fan controller when its powered via molex? Its one of those PCI slot fans but then kicker here is they are about 45CFM and another one with 65CFM (though I dont think the second one will work)

I have 3 fans hooked up to a 4 fan controller, so I was thinking of powering one last fan on that fan controller and that can be the CPU. I just have to find one to my liking and Ill give it a shot. Maybe I might get that 60ish CFM fan and trim it down to be around 50cfm. 5x the CFM may help with temperatures...

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Currently in talks with a member here about getting a VRM cooling solution off his hands to properly cool the machine long term and also start TDP modding. Hoping for 150w but may have to sell for 130w, depends on the motherboard and how much its willing to let me play. In any case I am hoping to get cloesr to 1.9Ghz

For the CPU development has been halted for a bit, I need to make a mockup for the heatsink for an ebay seller to be willing to make a one off for me, maybe this weekend I can tackle that bit.

Lastly I gave up on trying to cool this thing with the 10.55CFM fan and have started looking at 12v alternatives.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-for-As...m=322054015743&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

12v 4 pin PWM controlled fan. Not sure if I will be able to retrofit it, but nothing ventured nothing gained. I will put both of these in the machine. I will then use the fan controller that is fitted to the cooling pad to control / power the fans in the laptop. It will raise the laptop quite a bit, but I am thinking I can cut a couple of slots in the U3 to account for that.

Anyways just some food for thought for now. Confirming the link is the model I am looking for and will order as soon as I get the confirmation.

I also purchased a USB powered IPS 60hz 15.6 1080p matte panel to replace the 14" 1600x900 USB DisplayLink panel. Giving it and my old m4600 to a friend in need.

5. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you know if a MSI 970M would work in the AW?

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Never had the chance to find out that one, I ended up going 780m / m6100 / 1060 / 1070

7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Ok so I have contacted cicichen about the GPU heatsink solution until I make a mockup of the CPU heatsink for him to try to manufacture for me and others if they desire it (and willing to pay extra for one off's)

I asked him to attach 2 heatpipes from the VRM/Mosfet area to the heat exchangers, and also to extend the other end of the heat exchanger adding a bit more mass to the heat exchanger.

This will likely increase my GPU temperature but overall the performance will improve dramatically. As of currently, if I have a sustained gaming session @ 115w TDP, it spikes up to 120w and with my chopped up heatsink, it cant handle the VRM heat dump even with the additional copper heatsinks attached.

With the two heatpipes, I should be able to easily maintain 150w of heat. This will also mean however, that I will be dropping the Internal USB hub in favor of a single USB port provided via DMC which will connect my 5TB HDD with a power supplemented USB cable to avoid any potential for power issues. So the mods to the chassis will still be justified, just repurposed.

The reason for dropping the USB hub is to allow space for the fan. Due to adding 2 more heatpipes and heat exchangers for them to attach to, you will need to move the fan back or risk losing efficiency overall.

CPU side of things will be getting a bit....creative.

8. kingofswag187

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, after a long internal debate, I've given up the ghost and decided to let go of my precious Ranger. It was a beautiful machine, but I was sinking far too much money into it for it to be worthwhile in my eyes. As for now, I watch this thread with distant eyes, one day hoping to get a Ranger again, or settle for a M17X R4.

9. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Oh yeah I have spent a lot on mine too, but there isnt anything that can replace it. It simply doesnt exist anymore.

If there was a laptop that could house 2x5TB 15mm drives with equal or greater performance then I would be looking at it.

Until then the Ranger is simply the best option there is until I build a desktop or something.

Im still waiting on the fans to come in, when they do I will be working on replacing the 5v fans with 12v fans, cutting slots for the fans in the cooling pad so it can continue to lay correctly, reduce the 120mm fans to 2 vs 3 and my games drive is getting full so maybe a 4TB SSD is in the works. Had some OT on this payday so could cover it but its not an explicit need lol.

Keeping the nest egg ready for when I can finally get a modified heatsink

10. kingofswag187

Reputations:
    Also, there is apparently a 2TB MSATA that exists in the wild, in the Samsung T3/T5 drives if you where interested.