Received My MSI 16L-G-1080 Today, Questions and Concerns

Discussion in 'MSI' started by XiCynx, Oct 10, 2017.

1. woodzstack

woodzstack Company Representative

Reputations:
    I have no experience trying this trackpad disabling on the F5... should I load a system with my drivers and test it for you ?
    I have one ready for some testing (got one for myself again, so gonna do those thermal paste testing and the copper IHS once I get time) and will need o do the drivers anyways... two birds one stone ?

aaronne likes this.
  2. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do you guys think if i ordered the EVOC 16l-g that it will be somewhat future proof?? You think ill still be able to play AAA rpgs and games in 2018 with ultra settings while still getting 100 plus frames? I wanna get this laptop but im afraid if i get it now right before the new coffelake and volta comes out. I wont be able to upgrade to volta once it comes out right?? Cuz im sure itll use a different socket than pascal. I really want a new gaming laptop but the new gpus r right around the corner. Help me lol what should i do?? Buy now or wait??

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    You will get more help if you post this in the Owner's Lounge at http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...16l-g-1080-15-6-owners-lounge.797128/page-848

Phoenix likes this.
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    it will handle games with decent framerates for a few years. The new GPUs are not coming anytime soon I don't know where you got that impression but yes Coffeelake would be. Although it is better, it may not necessarily translate into better frame rates as most games rely heavily on the GPU these days with a minor few exceptions.

In my opinion, if you have nothing else to play games on decently then stop waiting as the're always something new coming right around the corner, you'd waste your time waiting and miss on the joy.

On the other hand, if you have something decent to game on and don't mind waiting for another 6 months until the new nVIDIA GPUs are out to get a laptop with the Volta GPU + Coffee Lake then waiting makes more sense.

Me personally, I always get the best that's out there right *now* and worry about tomorrow the next year.

Look at the laptop in my signature, I've had it since January 2017 and I seriously don't need anything more right now at least as it can handle anything I throw at it with a breeze, has the best screen out there, 120hz/5ms FHD GSYNC screen and a SteelSeries Keyboard for the best typing experience as I do type a lot. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's possible using Fn+F3 is part of the SCM (System Control Manager) software. Did you install that?

saturnotaku likes this.
  6. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Phoenix what laptop do you have in your signature? Im on my phone right now so i cant see it at the moment.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
  8. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I get the whole dont wait buy now argument i really do. And i dont have anything to game on at the moment for pc gaming. This will be my first gaming pc but i do have a ps4 slim and an xbox 1s. Im just trying to make sure i make the right choice because Ive wanted a gaming pc for a while now and i finally convinced my wife to let me buy one LOL. so i only get one shot at this for at least a couple years when i can upgrade again. My wife is not a gamer n she sees my ps4 and xbox and thinks im nuts for wanting something else...she just doesnt get it

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had an 870M for over 3 years and it was still able to play games pretty well when I stopped using it. I'm planning on this 1080 lasting another 3 years.

10. Ravern87

Ravern87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ya thats good to hear. Im not so concerned about coffeelake since for gaming i dont think itll make that much of a difference that i would need to wait for it. Its really volta and the new gpus im concerned about. And i know theyre still a ways off but theyre def coming in 2018 and thats not that far off. From what ive read volta is going to be a pretty big tehnilogical leap as far as gaming gpus r concerned. At least thats what ive heard