receieved t61 yesterday...

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by mliu, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibmfan

ibmfan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm sorry for breaking in, but let's stick to original topic and don't flood with BS

2. Jimco

Jimco Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What was the original topic? ;)

3. burningrave101

burningrave101 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm sorry but the OS that Lenovo uses is exactly the same as a retail version you buy in a store outside whatever few changes Lenovo has made to registry settings and display settings and things like that. Then they just slipstream in their software packages. An end user does the exact same thing with programs like nLite. That doesn't make the OS illegal to use after an end user modifies everything in the install by stripping out things he doesn't want and adding in things that he does and then creates a new ISO. You pay for the licensed key to use that particular version of the OS where it be XP Home, XP Pro, Vista Basic, Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate, ect. You're not paying for the software. Only the key which licenses you to use it. With the Z61m I bought last year Lenovo shipped me the backup install CD for XP Home and it was the exact same OEM XP Home version that you buy online in the exact same packaging. It was just the bare XP Home install. It was not Lenovo branded. So if they can do it then so can I lol. If Microsoft doesn't like then then that's just tough. It's this way for most all software. When you download a trial version of software online such as Adobe Photoshop or Kaspersky Anti-Virus or whatever you use the software until the trial runs out and then you're required to buy a key to license the software. Once you purchase that key that key is yours. You can download that app from any site you want and use the key to register it. It doesn't matter where it comes from cause you're paying for the license key to use it, NOT the software itself. If this wasn't true then I could buy a copy of Windows and then I would own it and I could do anything I wanted to with it including putting it up for download legally.

4. Jimco

Jimco Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last comment for me on this, but I just read through the spec on how this stuff is supposed to work.

The specific OEM key you get with your ThinkPad is tied to the OEM version of Windows that you get. Therefore, your OEM key should not work (at least is not supposed to work according to MS) with a retail copy.

I have a retail copy of Vista Ultimate that I'm going to put on my T61 when it gets here. I'll check to see if the OEM key on the ThinkPad is accepted when I do that and I'll let you know, but according to MS documentation, it's not supposed to work.

5. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The tabook estimates for battery life are extremely roughestimates and in fact practically meaningless at best, and misleading at worst.

about the nits, i think i looked at the wxga instead of the wxga+... i dunno i hate widescreen anyway lol.

Having tested both widescreens and standard sceens side-by-side at work on a number of thinkpad models, i've consistently found that the widescreen lcd's on thinkpads are poorer quality than the regular displays, notwithstanding that some of the standard screens were lower nits (150-200) than the widescreens (185-200). I guess the lower quality explains why widescreens are signifcantly cheaper and cheaper expalins why they're being rammed down our throats.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  6. Wh1t3w0lf

Wh1t3w0lf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Many OEMs, Lenovo included, ship the Vista Anytime Upgrade DVD which is exactly the same DVD as the retail one(same md5sum!, just a diffrent disc label). So there is no reason to pirate it if you don't have the media.

You can use this DVD to clean install Vista and then use your OEM product key to activate by phone with Microsoft. You can bypass the phone activation and do a full OEM activation like Lenovo does theirs by following my guide I've written a month ago: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=119587

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.