Reccomendations for a Travelling Graphic Designer

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by AjaniBlacktie, Nov 6, 2019.

1. AjaniBlacktie

AjaniBlacktie Newbie

Reputations:
    My current laptop is a relative's hand-me-down after she got a MacBook, now that it's about 2 years old it's started giving me some minor trouble. Honestly, I've thought of replacing it for a while now, and I've considered a lot of options; the gs65, xps15, blade 15, xps13, and more that I can't even remember. What I'm looking for is a laptop that can handle image editing and gaming, that ideally isn't that heavy and has some thunderbolt or usb-c ports. I'm a bit of a magpie, so it's probably for the best to ask for some advice on what

1) What is your budget?
    Around 2,000 USD, give or take a couple hundred.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buy this notebook?
    Either Panama (where I actually live) or the United States (if purchasing online).

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    No particular preference.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    If the value is significantly better, yes.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Internet browsing, digital illustration and graphic design (photoshop, illustrator, etc), some light video editing, light to moderate gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Planning to bring it with me to work, and in my carryon during flights.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes; Sims 4, Skyrim, Minecraft, and probably some Game Cube emulation.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    At least 6 when not gaming or doing creative work.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I'm fine with not getting to see it in person.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows strongly preferred. Might dual-boot Linux if I get bored.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    FHD preferred. I don't think I'd get much from 4k, and if it comes to that I could get a monitor.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    I prefer matte, but glossy is fine.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    I don't like the 'gamer aesthetic' that a lot of things seem to come in, but otherwise, I'm not picky.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    At least 1 TB.

Timing, Warranty, and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within the next 3 or 4 months.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    At least 2 years, preferably longer.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    A month or two. I don't really get rid of tech after I'm done with it, so I'd still have my current laptop.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Probably not. It's unlikely that on-site wouldn't be viable where I currently live, or any of the countries I'm might move to in the near future.

As an aside, I need to know: is 8gb of ram worth considering if I plan to do video and image editing work, or is 16gb the baseline?

2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would invest in the x1 carbon for alot of reasons....it's one of the best laptops made in general. Lenovo x1 carbon extreme if you need a gpu for gaming, I would check out lenovos site and see if it's possible to get one around 2000 I think it is :)

AjaniBlacktie likes this.
  3. AjaniBlacktie

AjaniBlacktie Newbie

Reputations:
    The x1 line does seem to be pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Still not sure on which of the two models to pick, but leaning towards the Extreme.

After some research, it seems that HIDevolution carries the Extreme, and can upgrade a fair number of different components. How much of a difference would liquid metal cooling make? Am I better off buying the memory and SSD upgrades from them or doing both myself?

4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I highly recommend liquid metal it will make a big enough difference to warrant the cost, and as for ssd thats up to your discretion, you can either install it yourself or get hid to do it for you/I recommend getting them to do it that way you know it will work and all is well

AjaniBlacktie likes this.