Really strange tmp of CPU on Hybrid mode (with intel graphic on)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Kinsogu, Dec 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kinsogu

Kinsogu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My machine : Clevo P651RP6-G (Hyperbook SL502 VR) - Intel i7 6700HQ and GTX 1060 (MB Series P65xRP, BIOS Version 1.05.10 and KBC/EC Firmware Revision 1.05.08) with Obsidian Control Station and Fan Control with undervolting -135mV.

Imagine. When I am running laptop with Descrete mode with only dedicated gpu, temperatures of CPU are max 78/80 C in stress by Prime95 or Intel XTU, and everything is okay, but ...

When I am doing a stress of my CPU with Hybride mode with Intel gpu on, the temp are ... 97/98 after two, yes two seconds :eek: and immediately cpu is throttling. It's really dangerous. And i remain that I had this ealier, but I was using my machine with discrete mode. But now I am really often like to change a place of my laptop and watching movies and I want to use my laptop in Hybride mode.

I want to add that my fans were working with max speed until tests, and this problem was with Clevo CC too. Also I was doing tests with no chages in XTU and with undervolting - no impact.

Someone know what is going on? Please help me.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Does it spike under normal load? In dedicated mode the IGP is deactivated and wont be consuming power.

3. Kinsogu

Reputations:
    I double checked. It's only with stress tests, hmmm. But it's strange. I want to know why it is like this :)

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Adding more power consumption by turning on the IGP and then stressing the whole system.

5. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It could be that the test makes use of the iGPU compute functions, thus generating more heat.

It could also be that you don't have enough mounting pressure or contact on the GPU side of the die.
    You can see a layout of a typical Skylake die here:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/215333/intel-skylake-die-layout-detailed

You'll notice that the GPU occupies a massive portion of the chip which will contribute significantly to the heat generated by the chip.

Kinsogu likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You updated the MEI FW after a long time, correct? Just perform a BIOS reset or Restore Optimized Defaults and see if it fixes the issue.
    Also update intel gpu and nvidia gpu drivers to latest available. For intel use this version
    25.20.100.6373 https://www.techpowerup.com/download/intel-integrated-graphics-drivers
    Do note you have to choose the version 6373 and not the DCH driver.

Kinsogu likes this.
  7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Do you have Hwinfo installed? See if there is any difference between the igpu, package, and core temperature readings when all are stressed

If they aren't all within a few degrees when all are under idle or stress, your paste application may be dodgy

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Kinsogu

Reputations:
    Wowowow ^^ It's fixed :D It was driver issue ^^ Thx, win64_25.20.100.6373 works perfectly!

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Interesting so it was just wasting power on the IGP due to a bug.

Kinsogu likes this.
  10. Kinsogu

Reputations:
    Yes it's really interesting, also I observe two more things :)
    First - with "Obsidian-PC Fan Control" turn on, when fans are near no working there is a sound like a clock, hehe ^^ But i can live with it. @John@OBSIDIAN-PC
    Second - I had to change my USB port of mouse because of buzzing sound. I haven't this issue earlier. But when i changed usb -> it's fixed, but I am worrying about it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018