Really random - Time traveling

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Atk-Pasi, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  2. KernalPanic

KernalPanic White Knight

Reputations:
    What if humanity is in and of itself dependant on time?

What if travelling in time is not possible (as a human as we know it) because it destroys the very essence of what it is to be human?

The human body AND the consciousness (soul, spirit, awareness, whatever you wish to call it within whatever belief system you hold) are on a journey from birth to death.
    Much like a blooming tree or even the earth itself we go from blossom to maturity, to withering, and eventually fail. (and eventually something blooms in our place)

It is the journey.... the WHOLE journey which truly shapes us and defines us.

This journey is infinitely affected by the journeys of those around us and by breaking our journey we would break so many others journeys as well.

If you were to travel through time, you (and thus your body) would not be the same (even if you did nothing but observe) when you returned.
    You may not have shot hitler, but you might have had a profound affect on people around you that you did not realize.
    In fact, so few of us realize how much our very presence changes.

There are people who still live today because of a handful of kind words someone here said or a gesture of respect someone made.
    One word of hatred can cause a generation of death and despair.
    Don't believe me? Pick up a history book.

This is not to say time travel is impossible, or that time even has any real affect on anything but mortals.
    (as beings who exist outside of time likely see everything as a roller coaster of repeating cycles anyway)

Sometimes you just have to ride the roller coaster...

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I figure that the only practical, personal issue with time travel (ignoring things like the grandfather paradox and such) would be that your body physically ages differently with time travel than without. For example, at present moment "n" you travel to a different time, spend 20 years in that place/time, then travel back to "n + 1 second" or something, in which case you've aged 20 years in "1 second".

Other stuff, like what you said about the effects of time travel on our family/friends, would just fall out of the problem I mention in this post.

4. key001

key001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think I've seen that happen in Babylon 5 or X-Files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.