Really light (portable) 12-14" laptop.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by awaisuk, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awaisuk

awaisuk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?

$500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

12-14"

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

Canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

No

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Browsing, Word processing softwares

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Portable

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

The more the better

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Nope

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?

Any

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Now

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

Any reasonable

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No

-------

Hey,

Looking for an ultra portable small but fast laptop. An i3 or and i5 if possible. It should be really light and have a good build quality. Battery life is important so the more the better.

Thank you!

2. tocirahl

tocirahl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There are a ton of ultrabooks out there that fit your spec. Based on whichever one goes on sale, the price points can vary. You can start with the Sony Vaio T13 Ultrabook, which is generally pretty cheap. Other options include the Lenovo IdeaPad U310, and the Acer Aspire S3.

3. MikeTLB

MikeTLB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like most 13-14 inch ultrabooks should meet your requirements. Since you're looking for a Core i3 processor, I guess you're on a tight budget. and given you care a lot about battery life, I for one would go for the Sony Vaio T13 or the slightly older HP Folio 13, if you can find it. Both can go for 5-6 hours of REAL LIFE use, while most other affordable ultrabooks cannot.

One more thing: personally i wouldn't pick an Intel Core i3, try to go for an i5, it's more future proof. You can then upgrade the storage to SSD in the future and will have a decent ultraportable for a couple of years.

4. Tuxberg

Tuxberg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Word processing and browsing does not require a future-proof system. I have decade old hardware that can perform those tasks with ease.

Also, if OP is familiar with chrome/chromeOS, I would suggest the series 3 chromebook:
    -$249
    -11.6'' matte screen
    -Under 3lb
    -Macbook air quality keyboard (actually prefer it over my thinkpad)
    -Fanless/Incredibly cool running
    -Instant on
    -6 hours battery life in use

Definitely not a windows laptop, but that's a plus as much as a minus. I use mine as a daily driver and it serves me well. Google docs and cloud storage make life incredibly simple.

5. Ultra-Insane

Ultra-Insane Under Medicated

Reputations:
    If you can swing the i5 over the i3 I agree w/Mike TLB.

Tuxberg, you my friend are ahead of the curve, you do make it sound very intriguing to me. I already have 50GB of cloud space to fill.

6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Given that the OP needs are very modest, it seems very unlikely the user would notice any difference between an i3 or i5. For every day usage, my seven year old R60e seems just as fast as desktop though it lags behind my desktop in processing power by a factor of at least five.

I might suggest the HP dm1 for the OP, then spend the last $100 on a SSD, which is much more likely to make your machine seem faster than the CPU. You might want to look at some 14" business class notebooks in the Outlets. The Latitude e5430, ThinkPad L430 and HP ProBook can probably be had in their respective outlets within your budget. Look for coupons too.

7. Tuxberg

Tuxberg Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Agreed. This would be ideal if OP does not want to futz with chromeOS.

The dm1 is very easy to upgrade too, iirc there's toolless access to the case by way of a switch behind the battery and just two screws to get at the hdd mount.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.