1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Read if you are thinking of buying an Alienware

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by hickmanj, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hickmanj

hickmanj Notebook Enthusiast

I am writing this to make consumers aware of the business practices of Alienware - a high end computer maker.

I am a current customer and have a $3600 Area-51 gaming laptop.

I recently had a hardware issue (I have a 3 year warranty) and called their tech support.

Their tech support, in the process of troubleshooting, told me to pry open my keyboard.

I told them I didn't want to do this and was told I had to if they were to okay it to be shipped to their depot.

In the process of prying up my laptop keyboard with a credit card (as per their technician's instructions),
    I broke a clasp that held my keyboard in place.

The tech then informed me they wouldn't cover any physical damage.

Now my laptop keyboard bubbles and won't stay in place - all because of following their instructions.

I.E. Their tech told me I had to pry up my keyboard, then refused to cover any damages done when
    following their instructions. (They point out that the warranty doesn't cover physical damages AFTER they
    tell you to do physical work on your laptop - they also asked me to unscrew my back panel etc.)

I have tried to reason with Alienware to fix my laptop and they refuse. As a result,
    I want consumers to be aware of what transpired.

If other Alienware owners have similar stories - email me.

Sincerely,

Jason Hickman
    revjwh@yahoo.com

2. titaniummd

titaniummd Notebook Deity

That sucks. So the idiot who instructed you to open with despite your hesitation was the one who also said they couldn't cover the damage he instructed you to make? Did you speak with a supervisor?

If you bought with American Express you are covered under the Accidental damage for 90 days. Did you get accidental coverage through them or by an insurance rider? If not, you may be out of luck.

You can try this however it is unethical (but hey, I'm Dr. Evil :) ) but your $3600 laptop is at stake here. Get an insurance rider on your laptop with your homeowner's or renter's insurance. File a claim 31 days after coverage and then you're set. I realize that you don't have too many choices.

"It's Doctor Evil. I didn't go to Evil Medical School for 6 years to be called Mister." (Dr. Evil, Austin Powers 1997)

Dell Inspiron 6000
    1.6 GHZ Centrino (Sonoma)
    WUXGA 15.4" WS
    512 MB RAM
    60 GB HD
    Wireless B/G
    DVD/CD-RW
    --
    Still looking for a case....
    ---
    Palmone Tungsten C/WIFI

3. taffuser1

taffuser1 Newbie

Hi,

Most of you guys seem to be USA based, but we also have alien ware in the UK, and they seem to be just as bad. When you buy a new product you expect it to be delivered in perfect condition. Not so apparently when you buy from Alieware. I have just purchased a new laptop from them which on arrival and boot up had a dead pixel, which shone out like the north star. Now I understand equipment can break down when used, and I understand the dead pixel policy they tuck away at the end of their terms and conditions, not in their warranty, but this machine came to me faulty. If you bought a top of the range sports car, you would not expect it to be delivered to your home with a chip out of the windscreen. Needless to say they do not want to know.

The laptop was shipped either with the fault not being picked up in quality control, or under the assumption it would be accepted. Alienware do not want to know, and are now not even answering emails. If asked, I would not reccomend buying from them, but to look elsewhere. Any suggestions ?

4. bmwrob

bmwrob Notebook Virtuoso

taffuser1: The dead pixel on your new machine must be annoying, but I don't think you can do much but send it back and pay the restocking fee. The only companies I know of which have FREE zero dead pixel guarantees are Falcon, and Powernotebooks (but only on its version of the CL56). Some builders offer a guarantee, but for a price: from about $50 on up.

My own Voodoo 860 came with two stuck green pixels, and later developed an intermittently stuck on red. The stuck red pixel was right dead-center in the middle of the damn screen. Voodoo's policy at the time, was (I think) that a screen with three or more bad pixels would be replaced. The stuck red wouldn't stay stuck long enough to bother sending it back.

Your disappointment is understandable, but I don't think AW is doing you wrong, UNLESS you bought a zero dead pixel guarantee.

5. Mikhael77

Mikhael77 Notebook Enthusiast

Not to be cruel or siding wit alienware here, but 3 newbies... accusing alienware?? hmmm looks more like a terrible scheme to bring them down.. Not an alienware customer myself but looking from the conditions i wouldnt even be moved by ur statements of alienware's faulty technicians . Looking at all the other satisfied alienware customers dont think they have as much complaint or problem as u guys do. and remember that no one's perfect.

6. Bosrudorfer

Bosrudorfer Notebook Enthusiast

Having a dead pixel is my greatest fear since mine is currently being built. I do have the 3 yr Best Buy warranty and it does cover that. I am praying to god that it arrives perfect [:)]

HP ZD8000 | 3.4GHz P4 650 w/HT Tech | 100 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive | 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 533 MHz | 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X600 | 17" WSXGA+ Wide View | DVD+/-RW/R CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer

7. Samwise592

Samwise592 Notebook Consultant

thats odd. i had a dead pixel, and they took it back, no questions asked. full refund, they payed shipping.

Compaq Presario R3000z
    AMD Athlon 64 3400 - 2.2gHz
    1 Gig DDR
    15.4BrightVew (1280x800)
    100 Gig 4200Rpm
    nVedia GeForce 4 440 - 64MB
    8x Super Multi w/Multi-layer
    802.11b/g, Bluetooth

Compaq h4155 Pocket PC

8. CrUmBs

CrUmBs Notebook Enthusiast

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Bosrudorfer
    [br]Having a dead pixel is my greatest fear since mine is currently being built. I do have the 3 yr Best Buy warranty and it does cover that. I am praying to god that it arrives perfect [:)]

HP ZD8000 | 3.4GHz P4 650 w/HT Tech | 100 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive | 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 533 MHz | 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X600 | 17" WSXGA+ Wide View | DVD+/-RW/R CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Haha, i've got a laptop on order as well. It should be delivered tomorrow and if it's got a dead pixel, I'm going to cry. :(

SPECS: Soon. Soon.

9. debbieh

debbieh Newbie

I ordered an Alienware laptop based on their supposedly excellent quality assurance and customer service. What a mistake! My Sentia arrived with a burnt pixel that was slightly to the right of center. Because it was not in the center quadrant, they refuse to replace it. I have to either pay a 15 percent restocking fee (about $300!) or I'm stuck with a glaring reminder of how crummy Alienware is every time I turn on my screen. This bright blue mark will show up brilliantly in the midst of every game I play, every PowerPoint presentation I make, everything I do on my laptop.

When I spoke with the technical support manager, Juan Carlos, he was condescending and asked me: 1) Don't you know anything about how LCD screens are made? and 2) Do you even know what ISO 9000 standards are?

Well, the answer to both is no, but I do know unsatisfactory customer service. I had no idea I needed to know LCD manufacturing procedures and ISO 9000 to buy a quality laptop. I mean, I don't need to know how my car is made before I purchase one...

Meanwhile, my husband sent a mail to their 'customer support' line that they claim to reply to within 24 hours. We're going on 48 hours now without a word...

Alienware thinks a burnt pixel is a defect if it is in one quadrant of a screen, but if it is slightly to the right, it is merely an acceptable flaw. What?!?

I'll never buy another Alienware and I'm doing my best to get the word out.

10. Rome

Rome Newbie

Just another newbie to tell the same story as the others that have been ripped off by Alienware. I bought one for my son, and what a disappointment, It had a dead green pixel smack dead in the middle of the screen. Their response was awful, and they were quite contrite. They had my money and I had a computer with a screen defect. After spending $4,000 on the Area 51 machine decked out with all of the high end options, the restocking fee would have been over $600. If you plan on buying a product from Alienware be prepared to be disappointed. BTW my HP ZD7000 kicks its ass. It has better video, cpu, sound, better everything. Alienware is riding on its past reputation, not on its products or how it stands behind its workmanship. Buyer beware!!!!!

11. Nucleo

Nucleo Notebook Enthusiast

And you do realize that if the dead pixel is in the middle of the screen, all you have to do is send it back, right? That is their policy.

12. aurora

aurora Notebook Guru

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mikhael77
    [br]Not to be cruel or siding wit alienware here, but 3 newbies... accusing alienware?? hmmm looks more like a terrible scheme to bring them down.. Not an alienware customer myself but looking from the conditions i wouldnt even be moved by ur statements of alienware's faulty technicians . Looking at all the other satisfied alienware customers dont think they have as much complaint or problem as u guys do. and remember that no one's perfect.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
    Having a computer problem is frustrating and, even though some of these complaints could be from an Active Imagination, there are people that want to inform others of issues they have had with their system. Alienware earned its good reputation and it continues to deserve its reputation. Even some of these complaint posts are from people that have had their issue resolved and are enjoying their Alienware today. If someone finds something they like and it fits their budget and purpose then they should get it. If they have a good experience then hopefully they will post in a forum about it. most people don't. Thats another reason why complaints about all brands seem overwhelming sometimes. of the thousands and thousands of systems sold, people looking for information mainly get to see tens of complaints. The odds are very high that no matter what you get there wont be any problem at all.

13. taffuser1

taffuser1 Newbie

I agree that it is difficult these days to buy anything without some problem or other. What makes the difference between a reputable company you would continue to deal with, problems and all, and one that you wouldn't, is how they deal with those problems.

My experience, and it would appear that of others with regard to alienware, is nothing to do with the quality of the product they offer for sale, but the cavalier way in which once they have your money, they treat complaints about defective products as though you should just accept it as part of the experience of buying. They accept no responsibility for ensuring their product leaves them and reaches you in perfect condition. Dead pixels have to be seen during manufacture and installation of software, so why isn't a faulty screen changed before it is despatched. Then to add insult to injury, if you want to return a product that has never been in your possession as perfect, they want to charge you for the privilege of doing so. If you had purchased a new Ferrari and had it delivered to your drive at home, would you expect it to have a chip out of the windscreen, or expect the sales person to say tough, it's just one of those things and acceptable on a new car, but if you must you can return it if you pay us $xxxx. I don't think so !

The problem with alienware is that they expect you to accept this as normal business practice, and I'm sorry, but the more people who make others aware of the attitude of alienware, the better off we will all be. It has long been muted that the best form of advertising is personal recommendation. If alienware don't want bad press they should do something about their quality control and customer service, then people like all those on this page could enjoy their products, and not waste valuable time trying to warn others of the problems they have encountered.

14. jwinrich

jwinrich Newbie

Well said Taffuser1, I have wanted an Alienware for a few years but have never been able to afford it. I have had computers for many years dating back to windows 3.1 and have never had any problems with anything i have ever purchased new. In fact just this year alone I have purchased two laptops the second arriving today. And yes it does have a bad pixel and since it is not in the section 5 which is right in the middle of the screen they said there is not a problem with it. If you go to phase 8 of the building of the notebook process it states: An Alienware® Quality Inspector is in charge of inspecting your machine from top to bottom for any obvious or latent defects. Our Inspectors are seasoned technicians/engineers and are very experienced in the art of perfection. To me having a dead pixel on startup is a obvious latent defect. Oh sure I am newbie to this site but far from a newbie in this world where purchases new should be new, if it fails down the road it is a different story. I am a Alienware user for 4 hours and am not very impressed so far. I am home waiting for a supervisor to call me back, but after reading this thread it doesn't sound like they will do anything for me. I will keep an update good or bad going on here.

15. Reize

Reize Notebook Virtuoso

I hope it turns out well for you jwinrich, I'd really hate to spend that much on a computer and tech service and support and get absolutely horrible experiences in each.

16. Cerebral_mamba

Cerebral_mamba Notebook Consultant

I never understood and probably never will understand anyone who buys an Alienware. Its people like these that keep the scum of the lot like AW survive. I don't want to stab the dead here, but with so much unsatisfied reports all over the new, why do people end up buying a laptop from the worst company that curently exists on this planet????

Anyway, Dell's policy is that while a technitian is on the phone with you and anything breaks or fries like a short circuit, Dell will replace it at no cost.. no questions asked. I know it 'coz I worked in Dell for 4 months.

17. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

This thread is over a year old . . guys, please stop with the trolling. It's unnecessary and makes the Alienware forum look biased. We all get the point that you don't like Alienware. I'm not saying we shouldn't say good or bad things about them, but if the same thing "don't buy Alienware" keeps being said, it's called trolling.

18. jwinrich

jwinrich Newbie

Sorry for reopening an old thread, I did a google search for "Alienware Dead Pixel" and this is the thread it brought me to.

To update the problem with mine is I have decided to take the $500 hit and send it back to Alienware. So I am off to look for a new one. Thanks for any of the replys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.