1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Re: Should I buy a Toshiba Satellite M50-YK4?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by pearl7, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pearl7

pearl7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Should I buy a Toshiba Satellite M50-YK4? :confused:

I will try to capture most of what I'd like/need:

General Usage - I will use it to write papers, access email and files from work online via a PKI key from my memory stick, listen and download music, view and play with pics using adobe photoshop and burning cds and dvds

I'd like a light weight computer that I can bring around with me for work travel and to evening classes.

Battery life is not the of the highest priority but if necessary I would be willing to buy another one.

I'd like to get a good few years usage from it.

Features - Adequate and sufficient hard drive space. I will be burning DVDs and CDs. I like to multi-task so I will probably have a few applications open at once.

Graphics & Display - Widescreen would be nice. A decent size screen with nice graphics but not too big so as to sacrifice lightweight feature.

Are you willing to pay more for premium screens enhanced by XBRITE, Crystal View, or Bright View? Yes.

No gaming needs.

Miscellaneous - Yes, I'd like a nice classic, sleek look...I'm a girl so yes, looks matter...we like something "cute" ; ) I'd like to buy a reliable and quality brand. $2500 CAN is my limit.

Would a Toshiba Satellite M40-SF3 be a good fit or would something else be best for me?

2. coriolis

coriolis Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The ASUS z63a would be a great choice and its only around $1600 Canadian. Or try any of ASUS's ENSEMBLE units, the v6v, w3v, w5a, etc.

The HP DV1000 is also a good choice, you can see those at any Best Buy nearby.

Your budget is really high, and the thing is that you won't need to use it all. I'm leaning towards no dedicated graphics card because it won't affect your usage from what you've told us.

3. samurai

samurai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With that budget, take a look at the Asus. Toshiba notebooks tend to have really low battery life specially the M40 series, not sure about the M50.

4. pearl7

Reputations:
    Ok thanks, I'll look into those. I heard Toshiba was really good and reliable so I was leaning towards a Toshiba or maybe even a Dell. $2500 is my limit but of course I'd like to get the best value for my money... I am going to Japan in early September. Does any one recommend buying a notebook there and bringing it back? I imagine it would be cheaper but not sure how compatible it would be...

5. pearl7

Reputations:
    Ooohhh...I just checked out the Asus W3v and it looks nice...i see it has longer battery life...small and light weight...the graphics look good too. I guess the only con is the sound quality on its speakers...

6. samurai

Reputations:
    Sound quality on a notebook, any notebook, isn't going to be great. You have to get headphones.

With personal experience, I find the speakers to be fine, I play games with it and it has never been a problem.

All notebooks have poor speakers, the W3v is not an exception.

7. pearl7

Reputations:
    Quick question...The ASUS W3V and the ASUS z63a aren't listed in the "Most Popular Notebooks" or "Best Selling Notebooks" in the site...any reasons why?

8. KrispyKreme50

KrispyKreme50 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    B/c of the quantity that they sell. Dell outsells Asus by wide margin (maybe 100 times more?) so they would logically have their products on the best sellers.

9. pearl7

Reputations:
    Looks nice but it doesn't seem to have a dvd burner...

10. samurai

Reputations:
    IMHO, I think the Hp Dv1000 would be a lot less then you can afford, unless you dont want the extra power.

About the best seller, you can't buy an Asus at the Mall or BestBuy like you can dell's, Sony's, and Toshibas, it's mostly done with smaller online retailers.

11. kamtsa

kamtsa Newbie

Reputations:
    My main reasons for choosing this computer were:

1. Avaialble with non glare option (Sony don't)
    2. Relativly soft keyboard (HP/Compaq/Dell don't)
    3. Reasonable feature set / price
    4. Available directly from the manufacturer (Acer/Assus don't)
    5. Customizeable (Gateway and Toshiba M55 don't)
    6. Reasonable asthetic design (though not the greatest)

The down side, it seems to have a flexible keyboard base (not to be confused with KB softness).

Hopefully I will be happy with it (which I cannot say for the 4 other notebooks I returned in the last 4 monthes of so, three of them were Sony that were ordered without the XBright but were shipped with XBrite).

Kamtsa

12. pearl7

Reputations:
  13. samurai

Reputations:
    This forum helped me choose my W3v, so im trying my best to help out in anyway I can. The Sony FS series is a nice college model, I was torn between that and the S Series for quite a while. Rebates at the time turned me to the Asus W3v, sounds like a nice deal they have going specialy with that rebate, that's like 1,300 USD.

It helps a lot when you can visually see the notebook in front of you, that has too be one of Asus's downfalls is you have to look at a lot of user pic's and it's a lot easier to sell someone on something they can physically touch, it make's it easier to visualize ownership. Good luck! :)

14. pearl7

Reputations:
    Thanks Samurai (and others), you have been a great help! :cool:

15. kyofan11

kyofan11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey!
    What did you end up buying?

16. Jun85

Jun85 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you buy a comp in Japan it will be pre configured with Windows XP Japanese edition. What did you plan on getting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.