RB17 Pro 2019 fan mod?

Discussion in 'Razer' started by amihail91, Feb 13, 2020.

1. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Interesting. This is specific to the type of fan they are using in the RBs or every laptop cooling fan?

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Recently I have only seen PWM fans in laptops. Some have like a squeeky sound when spinning up, some a clicking sound when spinning up. All tend to have some whistle sound during certain fanspeeds (mostly when spinning down or lower fanspeeds).

DC controlled is fairly rare the past years as far as I know but could be wrong about that. I only opened Razer, Alienware, Dell, MSI, Acer, Apple and Gigabyte laptops the past 5 years. You can recognize them by the 4 instead of 3 wires.

amihail91 likes this.
  3. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Figure out how to fit MacbookPro fans in and zero whine/whistle :) It comes down to quality, plain and simple, not PWM vs DC.

4. amihail91

Reputations:
    Yikes - I woulda thought on a £2199 laptop quality was the main focus!

5. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apple pays more attention to these nuances than other makers; regardless of total cost associated. I have a RB Stealth and it also has high pitched fans.. The best I can do is tune the fans down to a tolerable RPM.

Thicker fan blades will naturally create lower frequency sounds.. Thin laptops tends to have high-pitched, whiny fans due to the lower density but Apple gets around this with using asymmetrical fans.. Not sure why other makers don't make this a requirement. A company like Razer just goes for the cheapest fan options. Same with Dell, HP, etc. I haven't heard of any other make as quiet as Apple fans..

6. amihail91

Reputations:
    I'm sure the Macbook fans could be cut to shape to fit in this thing - do you know where I could buy replacement Macbook laptop fans?

7. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. amihail91

Reputations:
    Interestingly enough, the 17" versions (which is the size I'd be looking for) have the regular connectors, hooray! Is there any particular generation of these fans that were quiet or just all of them across the board?

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Bullcrap, pwm fan noise is well documented. Apple uses maglev fans and react differently (and macbook pros get noisy under load too). Not that they fit and can do the job. They arent even in the size needed for providing an adequate airflow.

10. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    The Apple fans are made by Nidec, a known high quality fan manufacturer. Playstation 3 had several different fan manufacturers (Delta, NMB, and Nidec). The Nidec fans were always the quietest and usually the best performing.

amihail91 likes this.