RB15 Advanced 2019 Getting Hot at Idle (not thermal paste related)

Discussion in 'Razer' started by LVNeptune, Apr 10, 2020.

1. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    As was said earlier it may be related to C-States/P-States but no one has mentioned anything about the screenshot I uploaded. Battery life is effectively what would be happening if I ran a stress test on just the battery for about an hour but the CPU/GPU usage is <20%. Also, like I said running a stress test barely increases temps pretty much indicating it's operating wrong. Only thing I haven't tried is charging it then leaving it sitting at the BIOS screen for over an hour.

2. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've C/P states turned off by default (because I'm not a tree hugger) and I struggle to see idle over 50. o_O

3. mikochu

mikochu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Tell us your BIOS settings.

4. LVNeptune

Reputations:
    Photo Apr 23, 5 45 36 PM.jpg Photo Apr 23, 5 45 16 PM.jpg Photo Apr 23, 5 45 29 PM.jpg Photo Apr 23, 5 45 23 PM.jpg Photo Apr 23, 5 45 50 PM.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  5. LVNeptune

Reputations:
    Photo Apr 23, 5 46 40 PM.jpg Photo Apr 23, 5 46 35 PM.jpg Photo Apr 23, 5 46 26 PM.jpg Photo Apr 23, 5 46 20 PM.jpg Photo Apr 23, 5 46 15 PM.jpg

Those are all the settings currently.

6. mikochu

Reputations:
    Can you output a CSV from HWInfo or whatever? Is System Idle Process taking up 98+% of CPU time at idle?

Are you getting the high temps in the BIOS from a cold boot?

Something might've gotten jostled and your heatsink/pipe might not making optimal contact with the die.

7. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I find the VR Current Limit = 800 and TDC Enabled off is lots more heat for very little gain.

8. Angrybot

Angrybot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm of the opinion that the settings in the BIOS unlock guide are a bit on the aggressive side.

Try undoing the windows registry changes, and reverting all of the BIOS tweaks back to their original (default) values with the exception of the IMON slope @ 50. I haven't tried it on an RB15, but that's how I run my stealth and it allows more power while still behaving exactly as before when not using that extra power. So no IMON offset, no loadline adjustments, no TDC stuff, nothing. Just IMON slope.

Behavior should revert to stock with the single exception that the CPU wattage will be 2x (with the slope at 50) what the computer thinks it is. So if the EC thinks it's limiting CPU power to 35W, it's actually limiting it to 70W. If you see a reported CPU package power consumption of 14W, it's actually consuming 28W. (you can of course pick a different IMON slope if you want a different limit).

mikochu likes this.
  9. LVNeptune

Reputations:
    I don't even know if I have the original settings anymore. Am I OK to just reflash to stock to wipe them back to factory and then just start over from there?

10. mikochu

Reputations:
    You should be. I'd flash your backup bin and reset your BIOS settings to default for good measure.