RB15 Advanced 2019 Getting Hot at Idle (not thermal paste related)

Discussion in 'Razer' started by LVNeptune, Apr 10, 2020.

1. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I bought this a few months ago and followed the guides to do some BIOS mods which actually reduced the heat output at idle by a ton. It was cool to the touch except when gaming. Then something happened, still unsure as to what but when idling the entire laptop is hot (not just CPU/GPU).

It seemed to happen over night but haven't been able to pinpoint what's causing it. Idle is around 70c whereas it was around 30c after doing the BIOS changes. Before than it was running hotter around 40-45c but still nothing like what it is now.

The heat output doesn't change much at full load either which makes me think something is causing the CPU to do something it shouldn't be. Running stress test on Intel XTU raises the temps by about 5-7c.

Anyone have any ideas on what to check? These temps would be acceptable when doing full load but it's annoying trying to do work while my hands are heating up.

2. mikochu

mikochu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You're saying that when you're at idle, with 0% CPU usage, it's still hot?

I'm not familiar with the BIOS mods, but maybe the C-States/P-States are dorked up?

3. LVNeptune

Reputations:
    Correct. Well as close to 0 as you can feasibly get while doing nothing. ~8-10% just having Chrome open for example.

Not sure if these numbers help at all. I have never really needed to look into C-States and what each of them are for, etc.

upload_2020-4-10_8-44-51.png

4. LVNeptune

Reputations:
    Any ideas? Getting <2 hour battery life just browsing internet...Definitely something wrong here.

5. BenV95

BenV95 Newbie

Reputations:
    If you have any gpu monitoring software running this will significantly drain your battery life. The one I always used was MSI afterburner, keeping this closed would always double my battery life to around 4-5 hours.

Synapse 3.0 also keeps the clock speeds higher and runs the fans more aggresively, I keep this uninstalled on my Razer blade pro.

I know you mentioned it's not thermal paste related, but my liquid metal dried up on my previous blade and spiked my idle temps from around 30C to 70C on idle. Just a few suggestions.

6. LVNeptune

Reputations:
    The reason I say it isn't thermal paste related is that wouldn't affect battery life at idle if it truly was idle. Went from 4-5 hours down to about 1-1.5 hours. I'll remove Synapse.

7. BenV95

BenV95 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah that makes sense, you mentioned your hands feeling warm even at idle. If it was poor thermal paste there would be high idle temps and no heat transfer to the chassis.

Since you mentioned battery life, I am assuming you're not connected to a charger and this is more of a portable workstation. I know for a fact that Razer has always had a problem with "sleep mode" on the blades ever since the beginning. It has issues with sleep mode and stays on even with the lid closed, doesn't occur every time but often enough to decrease battery life. I always use hibernate on my Blade advanced and Blade Pro. This is about all I know, I've never experienced your exact issue on my razer blades. I've owned every one from 2013 and they've always idled at around 40C. I have never attempted a BIOs mod, other than updating with Razer official BIOs which does help with temps.

8. LVNeptune

Reputations:
    Yea the thing is it was almost like this before modding, then after modding it was great for several weeks. Good battery life, then something changed...maybe Synapse did it. It might've correlated with the 1909 update as well. Not sure. I have noticed now when returning from sleep the screen randomly blanks out until I reboot.

9. LVNeptune

Reputations:
    Zero difference. Still running hot/battery lasting about 1.5 hours.

10. amihail91

amihail91 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    70c idle!? Do you have the fans covered? I know the stock thermal paste is toothpaste tier but I've never heard of thermals that bad ...