Razor Blade Stealth - 12.5", i7-6500U, $999

Discussion in 'Razer' started by aethelbert, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ribido

Ribido Newbie

Reputations:
    I get what you're saying but the point I'm trying to make is that they aren't trying to get hardcore gamers to buy a new $650+ gpu to dock AND still have a desktop. They're looking for people like me that only have a desktop for gaming, it's literally the only reason I have it. I don't need to play on Ultra settings with 60+fps, and if I bought the Core I'd be looking to get rid of the desktop, that's why I subsidize the price of the gpu.

I think the real thing to look at is the lack of competition. I'll give you that the core is a bit high in price, but they are the first company to truly push the product. I think the best option is probably a combination of different manufacturers but until we get there I would expect them to enjoy being first to the table.

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The thing I don't understand is, why get rid of your gaming desktop if it is already working for you, only to replace it with another enclosure to house the same 970?

Your current CPU will be way better than that Dual Core 6500U in the Stealth, so your FPS will drop when driving that 970 with the Stealth.

You can still get the Stealth to use as a laptop, and keep the desktop for gaming to drive the 970 and external monitor.

There is no net gain by substituting the Razer Core for your Desktop, you are going to lose FPS.

That Stealth Core money would be money better invested in improving your desktop gaming performance.

3. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I can't speak for Ribido but I have been actively trying to rid myself of a desktop for 2 years. I almost never use it now but I still keep it around because of multi-monitor support and that rare occasion I need a higher end GPU. This will rid me of it for good. It's also one less OS to maintain and I'll gladly give up some CPU power to get rid of it.

I agree with you to a point though - some people will not be able to handle the CPU hit. But I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people who are casual gamers and won't really care for minor fps loss when they gain having 1 less device to maintain and have a really lightweight laptop. The good thing is the more hardcore gamers can just get a quad-core laptop with thunderbolt 3 and it fills the gap.

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's the transition point coming soon with a number of laptops.

It would be nice to have a 960m/965m/Pascalm + Quad Core CPU 6700HQ for mobile with a full bandwidth TB3 connection as a minimum.

I still can't see leaving a nice external monitor(s) + eGPU box + 980ti level GPU sit unusable without a CPU.

I can't believe I am going to say this, but maybe an eGPU CPU box would make sense.

You could hook up a keyboard / mouse to it, connect it into the TB3 bus, and have it control the "Base Station" while the laptop is disconnected.

Hmmmm.....

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  5. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Quick question guys if I may. Anyone who owns the qhd model, it does appear that my screen when viewing white backgrounds, there is a slight graininess. Its mostly visible on white and lighter backgrounds.
    thanks!

6. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's a side effect if the igzo screens. No way around it.

r0c likes this.
  7. r0c

r0c Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thank you for the reply!

8. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Unfortunately the igzo panel in the blade is an anti-glare panel under a glass cover. Side effect is a slight grainy effect that's most noticed under certain colors. I personally use both a rMBP 13 and my Blade pretty much daily and I don't notice it anymore unless I'm actually looking for it.

Sent from a 128th Legion Stormtrooper 6P

r0c likes this.
  9. BMM

BMM Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Same opinion,same boat. I am willing to pay extra for what it offers me. Have a MSI 980 ti waiting to be put in the Core when it ships. Love the design and look. For 1268.00 $ I got a 1440p Stealth with Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512Gb installed.

Feels Much faster then my GS60.

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    Any word on the Stealth Core release date, benchmarks, updates?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.