Razor Blade Stealth - 12.5", i7-6500U, $999

Discussion in 'Razer' started by aethelbert, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes!, and that would be the real innovation that has been missed. Don't just create a new external peripheral bus to connect external GPU, USB, Ethernet (10gbit/s), also include a CPU to control all of it to make it self sufficient with stand-alone functionality - and turn it into a multi-node shared resource.

Making a peripheral sharing box is nice, but with all that $ investment it's worthless without the controlling CPU - so build it with a CPU included, then allow the laptop to be plugged in to control it all if you like.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. AkiraSieghart

AkiraSieghart Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, you could build an average computer for $500 but the Core appeals to me because I don't want to have two machines. I'd rather pay a slight premium to have one machine that can do everything.

BMM likes this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    We aren't talking about building an "average" computer, we are talking about $500 for an otherwise empty box, until you plug in your $650-$850 high end GPU.

So that is $1150-$1350, in addition to the hugely overpriced Stealth Laptop $999-$1599, for total system price of $2250-$2950!!

With a Dual Core Ultra Low Power 15w TDP CPU trying to fully drive a High End GPU...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am but I'm only buying it with the intent to use it for 3 laptops and eliminate my desktop. Currently we all use laptops standalone and use the desktop for dual monitor tasks. I have dual 120Hz QHD monitors that have dual link DVI so hooking them up to a laptop directly isn't an option. So hopefully we will all be able to just hook up and use the GPU when we need it and never have to have a completely separate OS.

As for the cost, I agree it's a lot more than I was expecting. I'm getting it for $400 but that's still $100 too much imho. But considering the competition has absolutely nothing to offer, I don't know what to say... Everything else is either proprietary or non-existent. On top of that, some of the stuff coming soon looks just plain cheap. Certainly not anything I want to put on my desk for the next couple years. So I'm paying an extra $100 for something that is black, made of good materials and currently exists. I can kind of justify that - especially since I'm an early adopter.

KillerFry and hmscott like this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Can you use the internal laptop display with the core or does it require an external monitor? I could see that being beneficial if I could set it next to my living room recliner. :)

Sent from a 128th Legion Stormtrooper 6P

hmscott likes this.
  6. Derek712

Reputations:
    I was told yes but I'm very skeptical of how well it will perform. That's a lot of two way communication over the TB3 channel. But apparently a lot of people have been doing it with DIY thunderbolt 2 docks for a while now, with great success.

hfm and hmscott like this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If it's been successful with thunderbolt 2 I would imagine the increased bandwidth of thunderbolt 3 would mean zero issues. That's interesting.

Sent from a 128th Legion Stormtrooper 6P

8. Ribido

Ribido Newbie

Reputations:
    I thought I'd chime in to this conversation as there is a lot of discussion about target audience and pricing information being thrown around. I would consider myself part of the desired demographic and would happily spend 999 for the stealth. It's the closest thing to my wife's MacBook air (which I love using for day to day tasks) but running windows OS. The only reason I hadn't purchased a zenbook in the past is the desire for this to replace my desktop with one machine. I feel like the CORE is a bit high, but I'd still buy it, was considering throwing down nearly $2,000 for the Blade 14" and I'm hoping this would perform better with a desktop GPU. My biggest point of contention with the discussion was about 650+ for the desktop GPU. I'd never do that, my desktop right now just has a 970 that cost about $300 bucks and I'd venture to say that the razer is trying to get you to take the card from your desktop and put it in the core, which I'd do. In the end I look at this as about $1,600 to get exactly what I've been looking for. The only reason I'm not buying it was the keyboard, I tried it out at a local store and just couldn't get used to it.

9. Derek712

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's a tough one to get used to. It took me a couple days of heavy use to swallow it.

10. hmscott

Reputations:
    You need to consider the cost of replacing that 970 in your desktop too, as otherwise it's unusable.

$999 + $399 + $300 = $1700 minimum cost of Razer+Core+GPU

The Razer goes up to $1599 in configuration, and if you are spending that much, I would imagine a $650 980ti wouldn't be out of the question.

$1599 + $399 + $650 = $2650

So does it seem fair to call it a $1700-$2650 system? :)

The Pascal releases might change the total pricing higher too.

And, unless your desktop CPU is weaker than a Dual Core ULV 15w TDP CPU, you would be better off getting that $650 980ti into your current desktop, and putting a nice new monitor on it, rather than investing in the Stealth+Core system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.