Razor Blade Stealth - 12.5", i7-6500U, $999

Discussion in 'Razer' started by aethelbert, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Been hearing from some people on the Razer forums that the Stealth is still throttling even after the firmware update. Clocks going from 1.x - 2.1 ghz, not 2.5+turbo. Seems like Razer needs to up the charging point.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Link(s) to thread, and post #'s?

3. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I've tested it on and off the battery now and my results are almost exactly the same. Sure some games throttle but it's only because it hits PL1 according to throttlestop. That happens off the charger too though. I'll look more into it but it makes sense that some demanding games will make the CPU throttle. That's why we need dedicated GPUs.

He mentioned it happened on the battery too so I'm guessing he didn't check as to why it throttled and just assumed there was still a problem. Just because it's rated for that Ghz doesn't mean it can exceed the TDP limit and still maintain that speed though. Not positive on this but I think bogging down the iGPU is not what Intel expects everyone to be doing with these CPUs. Lowering the resolution on games is the quickest fix. I saw far less throttling playing at 720p, which is reasonable considering this is an Ultrabook dual core after all.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's interesting, on Power Adapter it might do better with more power, since temps aren't getting near thermal throttling point.

Is anyone watching with Intel XTU with power/current/thermal throttling meters enabled?

They also mention ThrottleStop to see what is causing throttling...

And, what's up with Fallout 4 not working?

"MHB is right, the throttling is ..better not fixed. I see the same thing running cinebench. CPU bounces anywhere between 1.8ghz and its 3.1 ghz but spends the majority of the time well below its marketed 2.5ghz speed while using graphics intensive applications. I don't see this being an issue at all with the core but it certainly hinders anyone from seeing how capable the cpu on it's own is. Turn it up even more Razer (whatever it is you tweaked in your fix).
    seamor0512, Yesterday at 3:13 PM"

Better contact razer support and tell them that the bios update didn't fix i.
    DouglasHK, Yesterday at 4:50 PM

Unplugging the system doesn't seem to effect the processor speed at all. But the temperatures are not exceeding 80c, mostly hovering around 75. I also notice temps don't seem to relate to the throttling. A few times I was seeing 72c and both cores were sitting at 1.8ghz.

I know comparing it to the 6820hk mobile chip isn't exactly fair, but that chip sits at 4ghz on all 4 cores and doesn't once drop even to 3.9 during any game I have played.
    Mhb112, Yesterday at 5:37 PM

Fallout 4 doesn't even launch. I have a feeling a lot of other AAA titles will be the same way until Intel releases some mature drivers.
    Derek712, Today at 12:07 AM

I tested some games and throttled at as low as 75C but it was because it hit the PL1 limit. Have you used Throttlestop to see what the reasoning was? So far all my results on battery and plugged in have been nearly identical so I don't think the EC is the problem anymore. I'll keep looking but if you could check it yourself too, that would help.
    Derek712, Today at 1:56 AM

6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    But in some reviews they talked about the CPU hitting 95C--that must have been a CPU stress where the iGPU wasn't utilized. Hopefully they fix this throttling before the core is out, otherwise they'll have an ultrabook that can't play any games and doesn't have great battery life. A 6500U that's TDP throttling is worrying for the overall performance of the machine.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Derek712

Reputations:
    I'm not worried. It's tdp throttling because it's using the igpu. It won't with the dgpu which is why temps could potentially get higher.

Also, fallout 4 won't work because Intel's drivers probably lack some support. Also a non issue once tethered with a dGPU.

Intel integrated graphics is not for heavy gaming. The sooner everyone realizes that, the better.

hmscott, hfm and pau1ow like this.
  8. vagnaar

vagnaar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did anyone end up getting a sata m.2 to work in the Blade Stealth?
    I already have a 500gb m.2 ssd and the price of a pcie one is insane here in Canada :(

9. foamspoon

foamspoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Here is what you are missing. Having a bottleneck is not whats important. Every computer ever will have some sort of bottleneck somewhere. What matters is how MUCH of a bottle neck there is. Sure I the 6500U will most likely be the bottleneck but I'm going to take an educated guess that it won't be more than 15% or so. That's ASSUMING that you are purchasing the top of the line cards and not something more affordable and more powerful than most any mobile GPU like a GTX 760.

10. Derek712

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.