Razor Blade Stealth - 12.5", i7-6500U, $999

Discussion in 'Razer' started by aethelbert, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The gap seems to get smaller each year. Throttling comes from the laptops inability to supply the wattage needed to run at max. With ultrabook CPUs the TDP is 15W which is achievable on battery for the most part. Quad core CPUs are 35-45W and the GPUs are high as well so they are heavily crippled on battery.

The main thing is it's not throttling while plugged in so now it's ready for the core - whenever that may be.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's it, a 15w CPU vs the 47w+ CPU's tested. :)

There are a couple of tests with a sizeable difference, so there is some advantage to AC... I wonder how much different the results are when the battery is fully charged on AC and while AC is also charging the battery...

3. soulreaver99

soulreaver99 Notebook Geek NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Just installed the firmware and the issue is definitely fixed. Here are the release notes:

PJ:Hazel 1
    EC Version: 0.62
    Base on: Hazel 1 v0.61
    Release Date: 2016/02/02
    ====================================================================================
    (1) Change charger AC prohot trigger point value from 2.688a to 3.5A

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Let's try 4.5A ;)

I hope they tried higher values.

My first instinct is that I would have expected a larger increase than from 2.7A to 3.5A would be required.

More is always something I would want to experiment with, to make sure we aren't leaving any performance on the table, so to speak.

I would also want 2 values, one when the battery wasn't charging while under maximum performance load, and one while also doing heaviest battery charging while under maximum performance load.

If they can only keep one value set, then use the higher of the 2 power draws.

Unless that higher value allows too high of performance and eclipses the cooling capability, then they would need to choose the lower setting.

I wonder which they chose?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  5. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Apparently the HP envy has problems with throttling while charging as well. Skylake bug?

6. hmscott

Reputations:
    More like vendors limiting power draw to avoid overheating.

If they pick the high value with highest performance load + highest charging rate, then when the battery is charged all that power can be used for CPU/iGPU and that might exceed thermal capability of cooling.

Razer "fixed it" by upping the current draw limit from 2.7A to 3.5A.

I wouldn't think it was a Skylake CPU bug, unless their comment on the change meant to say "Change CPU prohot trigger point current limit" instead of "Change charger AC prohot trigger point" as they posted.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Eason likes this.
  7. mhb112

mhb112 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry I didn't keep the scores from my Alienware 13 before selling it.

8. soulreaver99

soulreaver99 Notebook Geek NBR Reviewer

Reputations:

My video review. Apologies for some of the poor lighting and also spacing out a few times. Bad allergies and holding back sneezing and snot from dripping. got tired of having to reshoot a bunch of times and just went with it.

hmscott and Eason like this.
  9. MJBarnes

MJBarnes Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just received my device yesterday. The BIOS is still on .592 (EC Version). Can someone provide the exact email address of the person they talked to in oder to receive the correct firmware? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

10. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They couldn't email it to me for some reason. Their firewall probably blocked the email since it was a zip file. You're pretty much locked into calling them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.