Razor Blade Stealth - 12.5", i7-6500U, $999

Discussion in 'Razer' started by aethelbert, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Perhaps not, but the Dell XPS13 is supposed to be released with the Iris Graphics option in February 2016, so if it's not released yet, at least the date is close.

2. votehart

votehart Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am in a similar circumstance. I have the gs 60 064. I have been incredibly happy with it but.... And it is a big but.. Battery life is simply not business friendly. I travel for work thus the portable gaming laptop was for me. My work allows me to use web access and VPN so I am able to take one great computer with me when I travel for work.

My meetings are typically an 1 hour and then I will drive to a second 1 hour meeting. The gs 60 has to be plugged in forcing me to bring in MSI's giant charging block. Because of this I have hijacked my wife's MacBook Air 11 for business meetings and then taking the gs 60 for gaming at night after work.

I don't mind carrying two laptops especially with the MBA being so light. So a Stealth may be for me.

How about this succession (conditional on bottlenecking not being a deal breaker)

- Buy stealth. Continue using gs 60 as primary gaming laptop at home and on the road. Move the stealth to primary business laptop.

- Buy Core with 980 card. Make Stealth primary and Core Egpu home gaming computer. Gs 60 stays on the road.

- 2 years later. Buy 2017/2018 Blade to connect to Core. Stealth is sold or retired to casual use around the house. Gs 60 is sold or whatever. 2017 Blade becomes home and travel gaming device.

The other option is wait for the 2016 Blade 14 and going that direction. Blade will need to be at 6 plus hours for battery life.

Obviously, options will open up over the next 24 months but this is what I'm thinking.

QUOTE="AkiraSieghart, post: 10177124, member: 657336"]This is basically it. The Stealth is sexy and so is the Core but with 8GB of RAM and the 6500u as the ONLY configuration option...no thanks. If I buy an eGPU setup, a 980Ti or a Titan X is going in the dock and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $700+ for a GPU and pair it with a dual-core CPU. So I'm seriously looking at ASUS' new secret ultrabook and their "gawdy" dock. At least I'll get a proper quad-core and 16GBs of RAM. And they claim that it doesn't throttle under load?

With the proprietary connectors...I don't really care, the dock will be sitting on my desk at home. The way I see it, two connects to plug in the dock AND it powers the laptop? That's just saving me the hassle of getting the charger out of my laptop bag and plugging it in myself.

The way I see it is if they can price the basic ultrabook to around the same $1,000 price point and have it increase with configuration options, they won. The 6500u will never truly compete with the 6700HQ when it comes to multi-tasking and having the option for more RAM is an attention-getter.[/QUOTE]

pokey2014 likes this.
  3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Considering the i3-6100 will run a full 1GHz faster and is not TDP or thermally limited I think it speaks volumes about performance penalty. i3 was showing a 40-50% penalty compared with i5. Imagine the CPU penalty with a CPU that's 30% slower. For best CPU/GPU balance a desktop GTX 960 or maybe 970 will be adequate. In that case why not just go with a Blade 14"?

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have a Blade 14, and it can't run fallout 4 nearly as fast as the demo does. And the battery life is quoted as half. So that's why not.

IKAS V likes this.
  5. trojanma

trojanma Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I seriously doubt you will get 6 hours of battery life from an RB14 anytime soon. The company values form factor and performance too much.

6. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This.
    Now I'm just going by what I heard about the demo but like Eason said it ran much better than a laptop with a dGPU, trust me I'm taking everything with a grain of salt until I see some hard numbers but so far it looks promising.
    I just hope all eGPU's will be compatible with all laptops that have a TB port.
    I'm more interested in the core itself than the RB Stealth.

7. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ****balls.

Word on the street (razer inside forum) is that battery life is more like 4 hours. :/ That's no goose..

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    The point is that you have to buy a much more powerful video card to perform as well as a much lesser card if it were with a more powerful CPU. More or less need a 980 Ti to run like a 960. But we'll just have to wait on review samples with hard numbers.

Fallout 4 isn't a good example though. It can run on a potato and also is limited to 60FPS. I know you can unlock it but it screws the world's physics up.

9. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sweet, mine shipped and will be here Saturday

hmscott likes this.
  10. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Congrats Xentar!
    Any chance you do a review? Which model did you get?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.