Razer Edge and Edge Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by johnnobts, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Ravenholme

Ravenholme Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hmm good luck with that, and if you're able to do it log your progress :)

– Ravenholme
    ——
    Razer Edge Pro [Upgraded] - Intel Core i7-3517U 1.9ghz | 16GB RAM | Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 | Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB mSATA | Windows 8.1 64-bit

2. avataris

Reputations:
    Hi all! I am glad this forum is here. It seems as though there are few resources available for the Edge on the web. I purchased a refurbished Edge Pro (128GB) through Woot! last week and I am so far really digging the power vs. size of the Edge. I have not played with the game controller yet as I have been busy getting the tablet ready for the 250 GB Samsung mSATA SSD I have waiting to install. I have a few questions regarding playing AAA games on the Edge using the controller, however I would prefer using a keyboard/mouse combo. Is there ANY chance Razer will put out the keyboard dock? My internet intuition says no, but I figured I would ask here.

3. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The dock was released back in December in very limited quantities. I think there was a batch that was released in January too but I haven't seen them since then. I would guess that we aren't going to see anymore released by Razer so unless you want to check eBay and pay an extravagant markup, you're SOL.

4. avataris

Reputations:
    Thanks, that's what I figured. I did peruse eBay on a whim and saw one go for $800. I just laughed to myself and got a small bluetooth keyboard and mouse for $50 instead. I did order the home dock from Amazon but it won't ship for another 2 weeks.

On a separate note, I did install the 250 GB mSATA SSD today. It is nice how easy they made upgrading some of the components. Since I see the wireless card is just a mini PCI card, I think I'm going to get the upgraded Centrino card and pop it in. It's sad how my $30 Belkin USB wireless adapter gets better throughput than the card Razer chose to put in the Edge.

5. triksterr

triksterr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One of the above posters noted how this forum is the only source of info on the razer edge.I believe that is correct as I have not been able to find anything on one of my problems. So before I reach out to razer themselves I wanted to ask you guys. I have a refurbed pro unit that has been scaring the crap out of me. Is it okay for this thing to get so hot? I am seeing 80c all the way to 90c under heavy load and holding 50c at idle. I replaced the TIM with artic mx4 which only shaved off about 3c from load. Now my ambient temps are high right now around 28c (summer time baby!). The heat so far has not caused any issues that i am aware of but still troubling to say the least.

Edit. All numbers are with the controller installed and are coming from speed fan and msi after burner. No overclock at this time however my cpu does tend to stay turbo boosted at 2.9 under load.

Edit#2. Is there anyway to control the fan in this bad boy? I tried speed fan and msi afterburner nothing seems to work even tried the bios no settings there either.

6. avataris

Reputations:
    I am curious about this as I have a refurb unit as well. I haven't noticed an excessive amount of heat from it, but I haven't heald it in my hands as I've gamed on it. Low load usage (web, productivity apps) do not generate any appreciable heat from the heat vents at the top.

How is the temperature you are seeing being measured? Is it an app or are you using an infrared thermometer on the surface of the unit?

7. triksterr

triksterr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can use MSI Afterburner a program meant for overclocking but it also shows temps of your various components. Also speed fan and open hardware monitor do the same these are all free programs just be careful of the junk vapor ware they try to attach to the downloads. I sent Razer support a message hopefully they will hit me back soon. On a side note I heard the Razer Blade laptop tends to run really hot aswell.

8. Ravenholme

Ravenholme Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I haven't had issues when the tablet runs hot. Then again I have it on the dock most of the time and not on my lap :p

– Ravenholme
    ——
    Razer Edge Pro [Upgraded] - Intel Core i7-3517U 1.9ghz | 16GB RAM | Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 | Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB mSATA | Windows 8.1 64-bit

9. ronaldheld

ronaldheld Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone recommend a portable bluetooth keyboard with Function keys? If I cannot find one I may go woth the Sharkk.

10. Paradox3713

Paradox3713 Newbie

Reputations:
    Raven, you are the man! Thanks so much for your guide. MISSION COMPLETE! I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am now with this device. It is totally awesome having components that should have more than likely been there in the first place. 16Gig of 9clk ram, 7260 Wifi, 1TB Samsung EVO. Clearly huge benefits, the only thing I have left to do is change out the TIM on her chips and I'm Golden. I know someone had their guid on that in here but I can't seem to find it. Anyway thanks again man, total rockstar work you do man. This should hold me until someone comes up with a USD 3.0 to Thunderbolt adapter and external GPU rig. That would be the only thing this system is missing to give it increased capability.