Razer Edge and Edge Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Razer' started by johnnobts, Apr 3, 2013.

1. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I know this is a tablet technically, but with its midrange gaming notebook specs thought I'd see if the powers that be here in the forums would permit me to start a new thread?

2. Sdot

Sdot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I approve if it counts for anything.

3. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Would love to hear some user reviews on this, this has me intrigued.

4. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just got my replacement edge pro today, so can play with it... will have to do a bunch of downloading so bear with me. Have a large catalog of games to install :)

Thanks to razer support for all the follow up in replacing my unit: heath and glen especially...

photos and videos pending this weekend

5. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also, could you check to see if the Edge has Widi? I hope it does as that will help to make up for the lack of video out on the actual tablet.

6. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    uses a wireless n 2230 card, nothing super special about it really. updating the driver for it from intel, but no WIDI it would seem. you can use a pinnacle usb wireless hdmi adapter maybe?

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla The eye is watching you

Reputations:
    Looking forward to the videos Johnnobts.

My friend wants to buy one and i want to mess around with his as well but im wondering are you guys getting the controller with the machine ?.

He does not want to order till he knows he can have both at the same time as just having the tablet alone seems pointless which i can understand.

8. IceStorm

IceStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the full setup - controller, tablet, dock, and today received my controller batteries as well as a StarTech USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

The battery slab (more like a wafer, it's very light) has no indicator lights on it. No traditional "push button to see how much charge" like you would find on a decent Dell or IBM battery. The tablet can tell you how much battery charge is on the battery, but that means you have to put the tablet in the controller to check.

The battery does charge in the controller when the tablet is not in the controller, so that's a plus. It requires a controller or keyboard accessory to charge as the connector is different than the one on the power cable going to the tablet. Haven't had a chance to play games on it yet to see if it drains the extra battery first or both at the same time. It charges both at the same time at least.

9. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Excellent!
    From the early reviews I have read it seems to be a winner.
    Nice , controller seems too pricey for my wallet but would definetly get the dock and just use a regular 360 controller.
    Would be great if you can describe fan noise when gaming or under load and interseting to see if you can OC the GPU a bit for a little added boost. Can you post temps when gaming if possible.
    I'm really interested in what it has to offer. Congrats man!

10. IceStorm

IceStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorta defeats the purpose. :) A regular controller is more comfortable. Takes some getting used to the button and stick placement on the Edge's controller. 'Course you can't easily take the dock and controllers with you, and there's no facility to add a secondary battery while in the dock.
    The fan is not as loud as a Gen 1 Blade under load. It has a low pitch. It is definitely audible, but the noise faces up and away. Gaming audio directed at you drowns it out.

No plans to OC anything. The GT 640 LE's DDR3 is its weak point. OCing the GPU won't help.
    I'll have to see if GPU-Z can log it. eVGA Precision and mobile parts do not play well together. It ramped the CPU cores to 100% with three processes running at 33% each.